Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intellisense

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxdev2

Programmer
Oct 16, 2012
US
I am trying to get VFP 8 intellisense to replace "false" with ".F." after typing the "=" or "," sign. Is that possible?

Yes, it's possible.

I don't know how much you already know about how to customise Intellisense, so it's hard to know how much detail to give you.

You might start by going to Tools / Intellisense Manager, and then go to the Custom page. You should be able to see from there what you need to do. If not, review the Help topic "How to: Edit IntelliSense Records", or see this article: Customizing Intellisense.

If you have any specific questions, come back.

Now, I'm sure that someone else will ask you this, so let me get in first: Why on earth do you want to do this?

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips, training, consultancy

I am tired of typing dot T or F dot. I have quite a list of custom intellisense commands but this one eludes me. One huge problem I have is custom word expansion in the middle of a command like as I said before, a comma or equal sign. custom word expansion works fine if it is the first word typed on a line but not if it is in the middle of a string or after a comma or = sign. Is that clearer?

If you write true/fasle and other such stuff by force of habit, then one easier thing to do would be

#DEFINE false .F.
#DEFINE true .T.

Now you can write it as you're used to and the compiler will put in the FoxPro sepcific syntax.

Bye, Olaf.

The #Define does not work any different than using expanded instead of cdm. the word false will not expand after a comma or = sign.

With #DEFINE, the aim is not to get the text to expand. The word "true" or "false" remains in your code. The substitution is done at comple time. So Olaf's suggestion will achieve your aim (of not having to type the dots, etc).

Mike

But that is not what I want. please do not focus on the true/false, bad example. I would like any word (custom or system) to expand after a comma or + sign.
another example th expands to Thisform only if it is the first word in a row, NOT after another str as IF th - does not work.

please do not focus on the true/false, bad example. I would like any word (custom or system) to expand after a comma or + sign.

How on earth we were supposed to deduce that from your original question?

Mike

I guess I am in the wrong form. I thought I could get some help NOT sarcasium.

If your aim is to extend intellisense, well, then just go back to the first answers by Mike. I was just trying to solve the given problem with less effort. Also I don't see any sarcasm here.

Bye, Olaf.

I guess I am in the wrong form. I thought I could get some help NOT sarcasium.

I've no idea. why you think my answer was sarcastic. That certainly wasn't my intention.

But I was trying to make a point. You asked a question specifically about changing true and false to .T. and .F. It was only after you received two replies that you said that we should not focus on the true/false, and that was only an example, and you were more interested in the general case. It was with that in mind that I said we had no way of deducing that from the original question.

We really are trying to help you, but we can only do that if you are clear about what you are asking at the outset.

I understand that your concern is to trigger the substitution other than at the start of the command, such as after an "=" or a comma. But I believe that both our replies (mine and Olaf's) addressed that issue. If there's anything in those replies that you didn't understand, by all means say so. But please let's not get upset about it.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back