Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intelligent Message Filter performance counters

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdgtech

MIS
May 6, 2004
US
I'm trying to get the IMF working and want to see what kind of SCL activity I'm getting so I can set the thresholds properly. I found the counters I want to monitor and think that they're setup properly to track things but there is no data. I am still receiving junk that goes into my junk email folder but nothing is logged. What am I missing?

Are you sure the IMF is enabled and its not just Outlook that is taking care of the junk mail?

Are you using SP2?

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

From the release notes:
Exchange Intelligent Message Filter performance counters do not appear in System Monitor

The Intelligent Message Filter System Monitor counters only appear in System Monitor after a message has been processed by Intelligent Message Filter.

This supports my theory that you may not actually have IMF processing messages yet.

Regards,

Mark

That's what I'm unsure of. On the Exchange server I have the Intelligent Message Filter tab under Message Delivery properties configured. I also checked the box under the SMTP connector for IMF, and filters are enabled. My best guess is that the IMF is configured and should be functional but I can't seem to prove it with System Monitor (no data is being collected). So I either haven't configured the IMF or System Monitor properly.

Okay, I found a slight mess. None of my servers had FSMO roles, so once I fixed that I reran SP2 and now everything works as advertised. The IMF is archiving messages and systems monitor is collecting data. The amount of spam coming through the server is insane (3-5,000 at a 7+ SCL per day).

I also checked out your web pages for viewing the mails and it is a very handy tool, thanks Mark! It would be nice to be able to view/sort per day. With this amount of traffic I might not have the time to check it every day.

I'll take that suggestion under advisement for the next version thanks.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back