Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intelligent Mail Package Barcode (IMpb) for VFP

Status
Not open for further replies.

billch

MIS
Oct 28, 2002
US
Hi All,

Does anyone have direct experience with IMpb, Intelligent Mail Package Barcode?
This is the barcode specification outlined by the US Postal Service for commercial bulk mailing.
It specifies not only the code 128 barcode font but also checksum calculations and numeric encoding.
I'd be interested to know if anyone has implemented this in VFP, either natively or with a 3rd party product.

I am familiar with Foxbarcode. Great product, but does not support IMpb at this time.

thanks,

Bill Chambers
Chambers & Associates

While I have not worked with this specific barcode symbology (IMpb) I have done a lot of other barcode work.

First: the IMpb specification is at:
Within that specification it indicates that the Checksum is merely a:
Mod 10 Check Digit
Every barcode construct shall utilize a 1-digit, Mod 10 Check Digit as the final digit in the barcode data string. The mailer shall only calculate the check digit using the package identification code (PIC) portion of the data. See specification Appendix E

Note that there are a lot of other references that result from a Google search for: impb barcode

Also note that there is a lot of good information on the GS1-128 barcode symbology at:
I'd suggest that you read over the specification thoroughly first and then come back with any remaining questions on how to approach your task(s)

Just an 'In General' - the Printing part of barcodes utilization is just a utilization of the appropriate barcode-symbology font.

1. From the specification you determine what you want to print - the information characters/digits, any checksum characters/digits, any prefix and/or suffix characters/digits, etc.
2. You organize the characters/digits into the proper sequence as determined by the specification
3. You then Print it out using the appropriate barcode-symbology font.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Thanks JRB,

Yes I am familiar with the documentation provided by the USPS and others. I'm hoping someone has gone through this process and pay for the program, if available. If necessary, I will write and test the 2 levels of checksums and encoding myself.

thanks,

Bill Chambers
Chambers & Associates

and pay for the program

Perhaps you haven't noticed the Posting guidelines:
No promoting, selling, recruiting or student posting

We are here to advise/assist/suggest towards helping YOU write your OWN application(s).

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

JRB-Bldr -- I don't think he was asking us to write it for him for money, but rather if we're aware of any package that does that. I don't think suggesting something like that is a violation of the TOS. Seems to me there are plenty of times when we say "I've used XYZ and it does the job."

Tamar

My apologies for mis-understanding what you were after.

I'm not sure how IMpb printing software might integrate (or not) with a VFP application, but a Google Search has turned up a couple:
Using MailRoom ToolKit Architect, you can create correctly formatted USPS® Intelligent Mail™ package barcode (IMpb) labels.

Using Bulk Mailer, you can print correctly formatted USPS® Intelligent Mail™ package barcode (IMpb) labels with the Label Designer.

Since printing barcodes in general is relatively easy, I'd personally recommend creating your own application to do the work within VFP.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back