Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intel Ultra Storage Driver 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

egale

Technical User
Aug 20, 2001
CA
I have an Asus P4T mobo (has Ultra100) w/p4 1.7. I installed RC2 but do I need to also install Intel's Ultra Storage driver? How can I tell if my drives are using DMA? Everything works but for instance defrag is very slow so I wonder if the storage drivers are set up correctly.

If you are running NTFS or have compressed drives, I believe defrag will be slower. The Intel driver I would recommend installing. It manages the ATA100/UDMA settings for windows I believe. Not too sure on that one. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

James,

Well, I found out the hard way that the Intel driver should not be installed or else I did it totally wrong. After installing them, I did a reboot and the machine took 5 or 6 minutes to boot and was sluggish once up. The storage drivers come with a companion app to show you the status of your drives and rather than show the hard drive on the primary channel and the dvd & cdrw on the secondary channel, it showed the dvd & cdrw on the primary and nothing on the secondary.

Figuring that this was not good, I uninstalled the drivers and rebooted. This time I got a BSOD. I tried to go back to the last known good boot and then tried to boot into safe mode but each time got the bsod. I had to reformat the drive, reinstall a mimimal ME (I don't have a bootable XP CD) and then install XP again.

I guess you live and learn. Now, can anyone tell me how to turn off autoinsert notification? I haven't been able to find that anywhere as well!!

Eric

Set 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom\Autorun" to "REG_DWORD 0". Heath
Principal Systems Engineer
Desktop and Mobile Platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back