Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intel(R) pro/100 VE won't negotiate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyT

Programmer
Jul 18, 2001
GB
Hi,

I'm trying to set up an ethernet connections between a touchscreen PC and a PLC. Ignore the fact that I'm connecting to a PLC... I'll give you the symptoms of the problem.

Essentially the card on the PLC is an ethernet card that has an LED that lights up when it finds a connection. The touchscreen PC is running Win XP and is using an Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Desktop Adapter as its ethernet connection.

I've tested the system with my laptop and this is what happens...

If I connect my laptop to the touchscreen PC, the system talks.

If I connect my laptop to the PLC, the system talks.

If I connect the PLC to the touchscreen PC.. nothing!

I've tried with both crossover and straight through ethernet cables.

I originally posted the question on a PLC forum, thinking it was a config problem. However, I was told that the PLC will NOT auto-negotiate a connection. So... assuming my touchscreen PC isn't auto-negotiating, this could be causing the problem.

So.. my question is this.. how do I check to see if my touchscreen PC is 'auto negotiating' ?

Or.. can you think of any other reason why my touchscreen PC would not connect to the PLC but it would connect to my laptop.

I'm very new to ethernet so any help at all would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks

JT :)

I don't make mistakes, I'm merely beta-testing life.

Go into the NIC properties and change the auto-configuration from auto to 100/full. Try different settings until you get them talking.

bfox

I'll give that a go mate, thanks.

JT :)

I don't make mistakes, I'm merely beta-testing life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back