Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intel Processor question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

riverider

Technical User
May 29, 2006
US
The intel Pentium D 940 has a clock speed of 3.3 Ghz and a front side buss speed of 800Mgz.

The Intel E-6400 has a clock speed of 2.3 Ghz and a front side buss speed of 1066 Ghz.

Whats the better Processor? Is the faster front side buss speed more important then clock speed of the Processor?

Seems many major system builders are replacing the Intel 940 with the E-6400.

It's hard to be exact as there appears to be no exact comparison between the two but look here:
An E6400 at stock speed beating an Intel 965 extreme edition by 18points in Worlbench 5, a general performance benchmark.
Look at the many other indicators/Benchmarks

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

The Core 2 Duo (aka Conroe, E6x00 series, what have you) is far and away faster than the previous generation Pentium 4 or Pentium D CPUs, even at lower clock speeds. I haven't seen a direct comparison between the lowest-end E6x00 and highest-end Pentium D, but I doubt that the Pentium D would be significantly faster, if it were faster at all. The only reason to go with a Pentium D over the E6x00 line now days is price (and the E6x00 lines aren't that expensive to begin with).

I know there has been some direct comparisons between AMD FX62 and Conroe E6600 and on paper they are very similar at stock speeds but when you think the FX62 is twice the price of the Intel chip you start getting a perspective on just how much of a leap Intel have made.
Then consider the E6600 soundly beats the FX62 when both CPU's are clocked (apparently by as much as 20%) then it's even more impressive.
So if the E6600 can do that, the faster E6700 and
6800 extreme are possitively streets ahead of anything AMD or Intel has previously been able to muster.

The story however may be different with the Allendale E6300/6400 models, they have only 2meg cache and I suspect there will be some overlapping (in terms of performance) when compared to AMD parts.
Something like? E6300 being roughly comparable to AMD's
X2 4400 and the E6400 somewhere close to the X2 4800 perhaps, we will see.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

So who gets helped by using the E-6400 processor? And just where doe it really show this improvement?

riverrider,

You're going to like this one. It's an interactive compilation of benchmarks that let's you select the CPUs and the category:

In addition, you'll probably want to read this article to get a better understanding of what the Core 2 Duo is all about:

Just as a brief overview, I will say this. The Core 2 Duo runs cooler, quieter (CPU fan spins slower), eats less power and knocks the socks off of any Pentium 4 or Pentium D out there. The Pentium D 940 you're looking at won't come close to the E6400 in any benchmark. Just for sh*ts and giggles, I compared the 3.6GHz 960 against the E6400 and it lost by as much as 25% in many benchmarks, and more than 15% in all the rest. You can only imagine how much worse a Pentium D 940 would do. So hopefully that answers your second question...

But at this point, the Pentium Ds are the better buy for the price. Unless power efficiency, noise, and heat are a particluar concern of yours, you'd be just fine with a Pentium D...

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Thanking everyone for taking their time to give me some needed answers to my processor questions.
DK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back