Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intel Mobo incompatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

BARTW4

Technical User
Nov 5, 2002
US
Why can't I get my Intel mobo to work with a new PS I installed?

Be sure correctly set the voltage switch on new PS (115/230 V).

Are the intel boards "bastardized" for Dell, or can they work with other power supplies in a different case. I heard that the connectors from a power supply in a Dell are designed to work only on a board produced for Dell by Intel.

IF you have a Dell, their power supply connector is propietary...so just any power supply will not work.

Sorry! bit obvious but have you plugged the additional power supply plug into the motherboard? has your new PSU got the additional lead?
Martin Please let members know if there advice has helped any.

The connector attaches to the Mobo, but when I boot up, There is no signal to the Monitor "Light is amber, not green". The hard drive is spins up, but no video.

Have you went through the steps of removing all uneccessary hardware and tried booting?
Make sure video card, cpu, and ram are seating properly, etc.
Start swapping devices if you can to determine what the problem is.
~Apex1x
Miller's Law:
You can't tell how deep a puddle is until you step into it.

As I understand it the connector is the same...wiring to it is not.

I took the Ge-force gts 2 video card From the dell and put it in a computer I built with an Abit kx333 board. That works in my computer. I also removed all other pci cards from the dell before reseating the 256meg ddr and the geforce card. My monitor works with my other computer also.

On the Dell,
When I turn the computer on I have power, but no video signal and no single beep which with the computers I build indicates a good post. Everything is the same in the Dell computer except for the power supply I replaced.

I didn't think that Dell was like IBM. IBM had gone out of its way designing its pc's to insure that you bought peripherals from them at a very high price.

I like Dell alot. It seems to have gone out of its way to keep the cpu and case cool with a special shroud above the cpu,etc. But with this power supply thing I am beginning to have second thoughts.

You might do a search thru groups.google.com...I'm sure I've seen discussions of guys wanting to know how to verify with voltmeter the output...and respondents' answers indicated the wires were not in the connector in the same order as anyone else's.
It may be just a matter of figuring out how they go and changing them to match Dells.

Thanks. That sounds like something I had read a couple months ago at "Icrontic" forums. I will give google a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back