Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intel D865GLC Motherboard Not using >137 GB on a 200GB Drive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

VicTags

IS-IT--Management
May 6, 2002
US
I am currently building a PC with 8 x 200 GB hard drives. I am using a Promise SuperTrak SX6000 RAID controller for 6 of the hard drives and the built in controller on the Intel D865GLC mainboard for the other 2. In the BIOS the Motherboard detects 200 GB of hard disk space but in the Windows 2000 Server disk manager it is only detecting as a 128 GB drive. I bought this particular motherboard because it was supposed to support hard drives > 137GB (i.e. 48-bit disk support).

I spoke with the vendor's technician about why this might be happening and he told me to install Intel's application accelerator, because this will enable 48-bit disk support, but this utility does not support the D865G chipset(said so in the setup). I updated the bios to the most current version and installed all the INF drivers that came with the Motherboard but still both drives, one of which isn't even partitioned, still register as 128GB.

Any ideas on how I might be able to get around this or anyone that has had a similar problem would be appreciated.

Visit MS:
48-Bit LBA Support for ATAPI Disk Drives in Windows 2000
"{Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 (SP2) and earlier versions of Windows 2000 do not support 48-bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA) as defined in the ATA/ATAPI 6.0 specification.
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Windows 2000}

"OSO ZEIS, MATHAINEIS"... [morning]

I installed service pack 4 right after I set up windows thinking that might be the case. The Promise card recognized the 200 GB drives. It's only the Intel on-board controller that I'm haveing trouble with getting over 128.

I'm thinking it might have something to do with the Promise card conflicting with the onboard Controller but it seems like it wouldn't work at all not fail on a feature.

Try to update the BIOS:
"
Visit Promise:
"download "{Fixes the following:
- Enhances performance
- BIOS now displays which drive is being rebuilt during rebuild.
- Compatibility issues with some Pentium 4 motherboards.
- Compatibility issue with Tyan 2462.
- Compatibility issue with some MPX chipset motherboards}

"OSO ZEIS, MATHAINEIS"... [morning]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back