Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intel Core 2 Duo Temp Rose to 239F before Shutting down

Status
Not open for further replies.

quickshot23

Technical User
Aug 13, 2008
US
I built a new system (system described below) and at first boot I didnt notice the cpu fan was blocked by the cpu-fan power cable. The temp rose to 115C or 239F and shut down. I realized the problem and fixed it by moving the wire out of the way and it spun fine. The temperature dropped and it runs smoothly. Since then I ran some benchmarks and to me the results were disappointing. Maybe im expecting too much out of this system...Im curious if something is set wrong in the BIOS as I have never used this version of BIOS before. Could my processor be slower do to the extreme raise in temp? I have run PCMARK05 and I will post the scores if that would help for reference to "the results". Here is my system.

Windows XP PRO SP2
Gigabyte G31M-S2L
Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E7200
SAPPHIRE 1010 Radeon HD 2600XT 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Direct X 9.0c
Windows Media Encoder 9

Thanks for your help
-Stephen

Have you compared the benchmark scores to other similar systems? What is your basis for the disappointment with the scores? More importantly, does the system do what you designed it to do?

I wouldn't think that the overheating would cause the CPU to run slower. If it damaged the CPU it is more likely that it just wouldn't work at all. Have you verified that it is running at the correct clock speed?

I have compared my score to similar systems and that is my source of disappointment. Similar systems that run similar speeds are 1.5x to 2x the score. The only difference is Graphics card and actual processor model. I am using the e7200 which has the 3mb cache instead of the normal core 2 duo cache of 4mb. I wonder if that difference is what is lowering my score. Also, my HD has a 8mb cache which is low compared the systems in the benchmark list. Im just curious if my scores are reflective of something incorrect in BIOS or something to that effect.

Try running a benchmark like SiSoft's Sandra. It has indexed many different types of PCs and rates yours among them, very useful as it can compare your system to another Core 2 Duo E7200. Lots of good, reliable, free benchmarks for memory, HDD, video subsystem, CPU etc.

I also agree with kmcferrin that if you damaged the CPU it just plain would not work. I've run CPUs (accidentally) without HSFs or with loose HSFs in the past, system shuts down and once the HSF is replaced all is well again.

Tony

Users helping Users...

I am getting the suggested SiSoft Sandra software now. I will post again with results. Thanks guys : )

-Stephen

Cache can have a big impact on system speeds, especially in a CPU architecture that has limited memory bandwidth like the Core 2 Duo. Speaking of memory, are you sure that the memory that you are using is the same speed as shown in the other benchmarks? Having less CPU and disk cache, along with slower/less RAM and a slower video card would render the comparison almost useless.

Doesnt 3DMARK06 give you comparisons from similar setups after it is completed? I remember it showed mine down to the details of the specs of other systems being the same, that might be a place to try anyway.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

3DMARK06 is a gaming app, it's an enormous file and not really that useful for everyday PCs. My high-quality desktop chugged its way through it and told me I had a piece of, well, garbage PC when it's plenty strong. Sandra Lite is more of an everyday-joe sort if benchmark.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Also try Everest ( this has a huge database as well and it's what I have running on my rig all the time.

One thing you may want to investigate tho is that you have the Intel Speedstep technology switched off in the BIOS, it could simply be that your cpu is underclocking itself and only coming alive upon certain criteria.

SimonD.

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back