Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

integrity constraint - foreign key not found? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

slok

Programmer
Jul 2, 1999
SG
I have 2 tables as follows

Table A
DATETIME NOT NULL DATE
REG_NO NOT NULL CHAR(6)
constraint pk_a primary key (reg_no, datetime),

Table Audit
DATETIME NOT NULL DATE
REG_NO NOT NULL CHAR(6)
constraint fk_audit foreign key (reg_no, datetime) references a

when I try to delete the records in audit and table A,
I got the errors

ORA-02291: integrity constraint (my_package.FK_AUDIT) violated - parent key not found

Sample of my codes are as follows

select mod_datetime into v_mod_datetime
from A where
datetime = p_datetime
AND reg_no = v_reg_no
for update nowait;

-- delete audit
delete from offence_audit where
datetime = p_datetime
AND reg_no = v_reg_no;

-- delete A
delete from A where
datetime = p_datetime
AND reg_no = v_reg_no;

what could be the problem?

Do you need to have a commit between the two deletes? Also, couldn't you just delete from table A with the CASCADE option? Terry
* General Disclaimor - Please read *
Please make sure your post is in the CORRECT forum, has a descriptive title, gives as much detail to the problem as possible, and has examples of expected results. This will enable me and others to help you faster...

how can I do a delete with a CASCADE

add an "ON DELETE CASCADE" to your FK specification on the Audit table, then just delete from the A table.

You should not need to commit between the two deletes.

Also, are there any triggers that are being executed as a result of the deletes? - if so, they could be the source of the problem. To test, try disabling the triggers and then deleting.

The error message doesn't look like what you would get if there was a problem with the delete - it looks like the kind of error you would get if you tried to insert a row into A (or update the FK columns of an existing row) and there was no appropriate "parent" for the FK in Audit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back