Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Integraton with MS Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mighty

Programmer
Feb 22, 2001
US
Guys,

Can anyone tell me (or point me in the right direction) how well Project integrates with Outlook. We are thinking of getting Project 2002 and use Outlook 2000 for email and calendar.

If new tasks are created in Project, can you set it so that the tasks appear in the persons Outlook. Can reminders be set to remind people when tasks are due for completion or when meeting are taking place, etc.

Our MD is looking to make the process as automated as possible and I really don't know enough about Project. Mighty :)

Hello Mighty,

There are three ways to share project information with resources and stakeholders.
1. Print Views/Reports
2. Email Task assignments via "Workgroup Messaging"
3. Show Task assignments and Views via "Project Central/Server"

From your description above it looks like "Project Cenral/Server" is what you require. I would suggest you do some research into the system requirements before implementing it.

Follow this link:
Good luck,
Michael

Mighty did u find any information on integrating the MS project with outlook. We are in a pilot project to see how it works and i need some good resource where i can find them. do u know of any in your quest for integration?
Thanks
Naveen

Rather than start a new post, I'm currently trying to do exactly this too. We have project central working but as yet can only update projects through the Project central browser which we run through a shortcut on the outlook bar.
However, it isn't much good currently because users who have been allocated tasks only want to look in one place for updates. It needs to send updates via Exchange mail (rather than the little internal mail system it has) or outlook calendar or outlook tasks.

Any help on this much appreciated.
Mark.

Our project was shelved for a short while and we haven't actually done it yet. However, I will keep my eye on this post and if any of you find a good way to do it, please let me know.

Mighty

Why won't project do this!!!???

I've spent several hours trying to find a way of connecting project and outlook calendars in this way. All to no avail.

You can publish tasks to the outlook task list but you have to connect workgroups using email rather than Project Central. Clearly you do not get the benefits from calendar - graphical view, meeting scheduling, holistic view of tasks etc.

I’m still in search of the answer and would welcome any feedback.

you can use email collaboration features within project to integrate with outlook 2000 or 2002. We are running a full on email colaboration with no web front. Simply one master project for management to overlook and an exchange server handing out assignments. The tasks get published to the users tasks list in outlook automatically. all that is required is the workgruop setup files for project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back