Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Integrated Windows Authentication 401.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricMa

Technical User
Aug 10, 2000
US
I would appreciate any advice on the following problem:

When using Integrated Windows Authentication, sometimes the user enters the authentication information three times and then a 401.1 error is returned. Here are some specifics:

-Anonymous users can access the web site with no problem.
-Users in the Administrator group of the web server can
access with no problem.
-All other users experience the message above.
-The users with the problem have been added to a web group
and a policy is in place to allow interactive logon.
-IIS Lockdown was in place. I ran IIS lockdown again to undo these changes. Same problem. I've uninstalled and reinstalled IIS then reinstalled the Web application.
-I've asked the person with the problem to view the Security section of Event Viewer, but have not heard back yet (just trying to get some other possible solutions at this point).
-NT LM Security Support Provider service is started. I do not believe that the website is being authenticated via Kerberos v5.
-Web server is on a domain. We've tried logging in specifying a domanin and without doing this.
-Yes, the authentication information is correct.

Thanks for taking the time.

Did you check the Security section on the Advanced tab of Internet Explorer, to see if Integrated WIndows Authentication is enabled?

A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

"I just know that I know nothing"
Socrates (469-399 B.C.E.)

I did check that. Sorry for not including it.

Let me ask you something, Are those users (those that can not connect) using an HTTP proxy connection?
NTLM does not work over HTTP proxy connections

If you say, they are trying to connect on your local network, that could be a different problem.

A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Thanks for your persistance in this matter. I also thought that we may have a problem with NTLM and HTTP proxy, the connection is going over a LAN and also occurs right from the Web Server. I'm starting to think that something may be wrong with the domain, but I'm not sure how to prove it. Whatever is going on sure isn't readily available on Google or Tech Net. Thanks again for you suggestions.

Check this

Didi you tried unchecking INtegrated and checking Basic Authentication?
Must probable the error should be because of some kind of settings you might have , or because of a port being blocked somewhere (maybe at you router) if the connection goes beyond it.

A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back