Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intalled a new motherboard and Windows does not work 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafmag

Programmer
May 29, 2003
PR
Hi I installed a new motherboard "msi 645" on a computer so that i could change the memory to DDR everything fine but the operating system "Windows 2000" on one of the hard drives does not want to work. Ive tried everithing short of formating the drive and nothing works. i have important info on the second hard drive that i need to get. any help on how to get windows working i would apriciated. thankyou.

Use the Win2K cd to do a repair installation. Chances are you're having problems because the old drivers on the hard drive are incompatible with your new hardware.

Smash I tried the repair did not work the error message is "inacesible_boot_device" thanks any way

If your OS is on one disk and the data on another go ahead and reformat and do a clean install of 2K it's the best way in the long run.

format the hard drive with non-vital information and reinstall an os on it, then open my computer and select the other hard drive and copy the info to cd or whatever you want to copy it to.

also, in the bios, are you using boot to multiple devices?
if not turn that on
I usually use 1.cdrom 2. hdd0 3. hdd1

check all your bios settings to make sure everything is turned on, i.e. onboard IDE should be enabled, see if its detecting both hdd's using auto, etc

Nick
Computer Support, no not just hardware.. I support everything :)

Rafmag,
In addition to what the other guys said, if you changed the configuration of the two hard drives on the ribbon cable when you put the new MOBO in, you'll have to correct the jumper settings on the hard drives. I'm assuming you checked that, but sometimes we forget the obvious.

Drew

Rafmag,

Here's another thought for you. If your W2K was on a second hard drive before (anything but the C: drive), it doesn't actually contain the boot files. No matter how many OS's, drives or partitions you have on a system, the boot files for any OS need to be on the C: drive. That's where the Master Boot Record is. So if you're trying to boot to a drive/partition that was formerly not the C: drive, it won't work even though you may think you installed W2k there. Only the GUI files were put there. Make sure your new setup includes the drive that was your C: drive before in the Master position on the ribbon cable, properly jumpered, and put the second hard drive in the Slave position on the cable, properly jumpered. Otherwise, you'll have to replace the system files on the W2K drive. Make sure all connections are nice and snug (power and ribbon cable).

Drew

i was new at this thing but im realy impressed thanks everyone i think i got it from here

I suggest you go to the windows 2000 professional forum and see what ideas they have.

This site has an NTFS reader if you need one:

Although you probably need a way to fix the operating system.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back