Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

insufficient memory error when module is called (cobol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

arshish

Programmer
Jan 21, 2001
IN
I need help
I ahve to submit my project in 10 days and the whole thing is complete except that when the 4th or 5th module (seperate cob file) is called as CALL "xxx.cob"
it give an error insufficient memory...
what do i do
please help me
arshish

Arshish,
Perhaps you can use the 'cancel' command when you are done with each module to free up the memory for the next module.

Hi,

Memory errors can have several causes.

call "xxx.cob"

looks strange, because usualy you call a dll file without the exention .cob

MS cobol is very old. The old ms-cobol could not handle memory more than 520k. What version do you use?

Perhaps you can cancel the modules that you don't need anymore, that should free some memory.

You can try to get more free DOS memory. On what operating system are you working?

Try to get a better compiler for your project.
Some are for free!

I hope this is helpful.

When I have this problem it is usually associated with a JCL problem, not enough memory on the JOB card. Try REGION=0K and that will get all the memory available on the computer.

Hi.

I worked with ms.cobol 15 years ago. I had similar problems
and from what I remember there is a command you have to include in your code to release the cobol program otherwise it will stay in memory.Check you MS/COB manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back