Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Instructions for converting VLDB to SQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jsperb

MIS
Feb 18, 2003
IN
I am trying to convert VLDB to a SQL DB on a remote server. I cannot find any detailed instructions on doing this. I run SETUPSQL in the Arcserve folder and supply the necessary login credentials. Everytime I get an error message saying that "SQL Server does not exist on "ServerName"".

My SQL Server is W2k, with SQL 7. I am able to make an ODBC connection from the ArcServe Server.

Anyone know what my problem is?

Are u using Windows Authentication or SQL Authentication.
Try both. Also in the Instance name window just type the instance name alone(not like machinename\instancename).

Actually, I discovered what I was doing wrong. I finally sniffed the traffic between the two servers and discovered the Arcserve Server was trying to access the Registry of the SQL Server. I checked the SQL Server and the Remote Registry Service was set to manual for Security reasons. I started the Service and was able to connect to the SQL Server. Once I completed running SetupSQL, I stopped the Service and all is well.

FYI: When I first set up Arcserve at this sight it took me many hours to discover that Arcserve (especially for DR) needs the default windows shares active, i.e. Admin$, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back