Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Instant refresh on web possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jurzyguy

Programmer
Jun 8, 2001
US
I hide certain fields on a web form that only appear when other fields are selected. When these other fields are selected, the page refreshes and takes up to 10 seconds. The user may not be aware of this and might continue filling in entries until the page finally refreshes. Refresh in Notes is fast, but can I make it faster somehow from the web?

Obviously, assuming you have a fast Domino server, the refresh rate on the Web is a factor of client access. When I run a test form with hide-when fields on my Domino server, the difference between Notes and the Web is negligible, but I'm using a LAN connection. If your users are dialing up for access, that's the bottleneck.

Far as I can tell, there isn't another way to speed things up, short of separating the components of the form and making those that are hide-when's appear on the 'Next' form in the process (that way the processing of the logic is transparent because the user is waiting for the next page to load anyway).

If you want to prevent the user from moving on to other fields before seeing the hide-when's, use the field-level JavaScript handlers like onBlur and onChange to reposition the user's cursor in the no-longer-hidden field. See example 20 for JavaScript in Designer Help for another idea.

Hope this helps. "One fish, two fish,
Red fish, blue fish."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back