Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Instant Messenger for Exchange 2000 Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmccarthy

IS-IT--Management
Mar 3, 2005
US
Alright, I've tried more than a few times at installing the Instant Messenger and just cannot get my client to connect. I've set it up in protocols (under im.domainname.local ), set up a DNS entry to point im to the correct server address, set up an _rvp service in DNS for im.domainname.local, and enabled users in Active Directory (it gives their sign in name as user@im.domainname.local ).

But, when i put in that name, i continually get back "Signing in to MS Exchange IM failed because the service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later." IM is installed on the server, SP3 was reapplied, but I cannot find a specific service nor does it register as either starting or failing (or doing anything) in the application log in Event Viewer. the rvp service is working correctly ( KB Article 319758), im.domainname.local is resolving correctly, the user is enabled in AD, and I am using the correct email address (not to mention trying any other possible combination i can think of, to no avail).

Id appreciate any help or insight that could be provided as to what is wrong. Thanks a lot,

-Jimmy McCarthy

Wow, this is gonna sound kind of dumb, but i figured it out. It had to be hosted on a virtual website (in IIS) which is actually running, which means it needed to be placed in the OWA site instaead of the default site.

Hi,

i have the same problem and i will appreciate if you can specify what is a OWA site and do i rep;ace it with default site.

Thanks a lot,
Jack

I found it.

But he keeps giving me errors that the email and the user that are loged into the computer do not match, although the do!

TA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back