Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

instant cut out when mail page first shows up 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nstaplesuk

Technical User
Oct 7, 2001
GB
Using Win 98, Outlook Express and Freeserve OK for many months. 3/4 weeks ago (without any alteration of settings by me) the connection cuts out as soon as the mail page is loaded. I re-connect and all is well. If I go to favourites or home page or anything else to start with all is well, but the moment I load the Mailpage I get the cut out.

Have looked at Freeserve FAQs and here but cannot find an answer. Any ideas please?

Norman

clear your Temp internet files, also unsave any passwords you may have for the mail account......
what is the url and I will see what happens...... Jay~

My new Tae Kwon Do website is up and running!!

~KeyTech

Much appreciate your prompt response.I cleared the temp files, unsaved my password. The URL is
Unfortunately the results are still the same. The error window which pops up on the first attempt to look at mail says

"Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection ...
various reasons... (service difficulty type) then
Account: 'pop.freeserve.net' Server:'pop3.norton.antivirus'
Protocol:pOP3,post:110, Secure[SSL]:NO, Error Number
Ox800CCC0F"

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Norman

had a look at the Freeserve mail, and I got no errors when I was joining up...
what if you put your mail settings into Outlook Express or something and try and send recieve from there... Jay~

My new Tae Kwon Do website is up and running!!

~KeyTech

Hi mscallisto
Much appreciate your helful suggestion and have printed it and the refernce material you suggested for future reference.
Reason: just before looking at tonight's mail I looked at Tools in Outlook Express>Options>Connections

Although I have little idea of what the details meant, I was surprised to see under "Dial-up" there was a tick against "Hang up after sending and receiving"

As that is just what has been happening, i switched it off and lo and behold for the first time in weeks I didn't get cut off when looking at mail. I hope this is the answer, but have no idea why that switch should have been set.
If it isn't a permament answer I will follow your suggestion.

Very many thanks
Best wishes, Norman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back