Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Instance number changes at A HP9000/B2000 after swapping hardware from

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbysux

Technical User
Oct 8, 2001
DE
E.g. I had a network card in slot 2. The ioscan shows me the instance number 1 and the command lanscan shows in the column “Net-Interface Name Unit” - lan1- which I would normally expect to see. In slot 3 I had an scsi single ended interface. The instance number was 1
and I can use the default device file /dev/rmt/0m in the tar command without using the option f . When I swap the cards the system installed pseudo drivers for the scsi devices while the system is booting, because the Hardware-Path changes. The result is, that the you can’t address the DAT-Drive any more without using the special new device file. (e.g. tar tvf /dev/rmt/1m), because the instance number is now 1. Then I had the same problem with the network card. I got with the command ioscan in the column “Net-Interface Name Unit” the information lan2. So I tried everything. Taking out the driver for strlan (OTS), btlan5 and stape from the kernel and rebuilding it. Changing the instance number with

# ioscan –M stape –H <hardware-path> -I 0
I deleted the entire contents of the /dev/rmt directory.
I deleted the file /etc/ioconfig as well and rebuilt it with the ioinit command.
Then I inserted the driver for the tape back to the kernel and rebuilt it. But as soon as the system did its automatic reboot, the pseudo drivers for the devices 1mxxx were installed by the start up-routines and I had the same mess. At least I assume that there is another file which holds the information for the old configuration of the hardware slots. The only way
to use the default devices with that hardware configuration is a new installation of the operating-system, but that can’t be the right way.
Is there anybody who can help me?
abbysux

Hi Abby,
You are right if you have to install new OS then it is not good. Tomorrow I will try to find out something form HP site. If you have time go to
Patel

Hi patel,
I found something in the HP forum with problems of the instance number regarding to a tape swap, but it
doesn´t help. They use the ioinit comand to changethe HW-PATH and the instance number.
But in my system (HP-UX 10.20) it doesn´t work.

Try insf -e. I know it is not relevent but anything is possible at this time.

Patel

Hi Patel,
I did the folloing so far I read in the HP-Forum :
create a file e.g /tmp/change_instance with the content of
the new HW-Path and the desired instance numbers.

10/1/2/0 lan 1
10/1/3/0.3.0 tape 0

My old HW-Pathes were ( for your information )
10/1/2/0.3.0 for the tape with instance number 0
10/1/3/0 for the lan card with instance number 1

After the swap the ioscan -f command print out
the new HW-Path but lan 1 as lan 2 and tape 0
as tape 1.

So I proceed with:

1. #ioinit -f /tmp/change_instance

which brings me the error messeges:
.. there is alredy an instance number 0 for Class tape
it must has to do something with /etc/ioconfig file, because
if I delete the file the ioint give the error message
..... file /etc/ioconfig missing .... recreate with ioint -c ...
But this makes a copy from /stand/ioconfig.So I removed it.
No positive results.
Also rmsf -H <old HW-Path> or rmsf -H <new HW-Path>
doesn´t realy help.
I can start ioint -f /tmp/change_instance
without getting an error message, but as soon as you invoke
ioscan -f you will get the same mess.

ioscan -f shows for the two dirvers

lan 2 10/1/2/0 btlan5
tape 1 10/1/3/0.3.0 stape

In the HP forum the next steps are ( but my first step ioinit already faild):

#shutdown -ry 0
# cd /dev/rmt
#rm /dev/rmt/* # ...for any or all you are rteordering...
#insf -e ( but it creates 1m 1mn .. and I need 0m 0mn ...)
# ioscan -fnC tape # ..to verify---> same mess

The following instructions of the HP-Forum make no sence at this state.

#shutdown -ry 0 # ... to verify all remains well
# ioscan -fnC tape

I think the system holds its information of the old configuration anywhere (kernel ??? ), but I have now idea
how I can get rid of this. Before I cant destroy this information I think it make no sence to use the ioinit command.

abbysux

Hi Abby,
As per I know when you we run ioscan -kfn it reads all information through kernal but it actually scans the hardware and reports the information back. Then we run insf to regenerate the device file.

Patel

It doesn´t help. Noting changed abbysux

abbsysux,

There is a method to remapped the card instances numbers, I've used it several times myself, works like a charm.

****** very important that step 1 be done, and not use a shorter verison of the infile ******

1.) ioscan -kf | grep -c INTERFACE -c DEVICE | grep -v target | awk `{printf &quot;%s %s %s\n&quot;,$3,$1,$2}` > infile
***** (step 1 is all one command) *****

2.) vi infile (change the whatever you want remapped. e.g. `tty 3` to `tty 2`)

3.) mv infile /stand/infile

4.) mv /stand/ioconfig /stand/ioconfig.sav

5.) shutdown -ry 0

6.) interrupt the boot process, boot pri, interact with ISL

7.) ISL> hpux -is (;0)/stand/vmunix

8.) cd /stand/sbin/ioinit -c /sbin/ioinit -f infile -r

9.) reboot (the last command should have cause a reboot)

10.) ioscan -f ( check your results )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back