Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing XP Over ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjmdesigns

Technical User
Mar 7, 2003
GB
I have two PCs, one running Windows ME and the other XP Home. As the One running XP is at home and the other is at work I wanted to install XP on the work machine, is this possible? Or what problems might I face? Would I need to purchase an upgrade?

Cheers
PJ

Copy and Paste on UPgrading:
You can
upgrade to Windows XP Professional from the following
operating systems:

* Windows 98 (all versions)
* Windows Millennium Edition
* Windows NT 4.0 Workstation (Service Pack 6 and later)
* Windows 2000 Professional (including service packs)
* Windows XP Home Edition

Frank Smith irc.dhcnetwork.com
gunsling.gif

"SomeWhere in Kansas--"Near Dodge City"

"All Versions of Windows NT 4.0 (Workstation, Server, Enterprise, and Terminal Server) require Service Pack 5 to be installed prior to upgrading to Windows XP. However, as noted earlier in this article, you cannot upgrade any of the Windows NT 4.0 Server products to Windows XP Home or Professional editions."

MS KB:

pjmedesigns:

A2. Purchasing the retail Upgrade of XP Home Edition would work, but no upgrade is without issue.

A1. Issues.

You might want to read MS Instructions for preparing for the upgrade. This includes the tools available to test components for suitability for XP, and to test for known upgrade problems so that they can be sorted prior to doing the actual upgrade to XP:

I would strongly suggest that you repartition and reformat your hard drive and do a clean install of XP instead of upgrading over ME. This will take a little longer, but believe me, it will save you from many headaches in the long run.

I purchased the upgrades for my ME machines. I found the best way is to install the upgrade to replace ME and convert to NTFS instead of upgrading and saving ME so you could go back. The first time I had all kinds of problems because XP perfers NTFS and ME is FAT32. Did 2 systems by replaceing ME and they are working great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back