Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing XP over 2000??? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

praise2him

Technical User
Aug 22, 2003
US
Hi,
I have a machine with 2 30gig hard drives. Drive c has w2k as the OS, drive D&E I use for file storage. I wolud like to upgrade to XP but do not know if I have to start all over or just run the XP cd and install over existing OS (W2K). I have searched through the XP forum and didn't find any info on this topic. All help is appreciated,
Thanks,
Paul

Your always better off doing a fresh install then installing over an older OS
You will find that you have less bugs and also does not use up as much hdd space.
You can always backup your important info to your other hdd so you don't lose it ( EG: documents, favorite bookmarks, addres book, e-mails )

Follow bcastner link but make sure you have a minimum of 256 mg of ram.

Mel in the UK

Thank you all for the posts. I ended up with a dual boot. I gave you all stars for your help. bcastner and mel999 for the excellent advice, Panderson for the great link (very helpful for future), and happydownloader for the wise advice. I think we want to take the shortcut and install over instead of doing the extra work and making it right. Since I have the ram and the disc space the dual boot seemed the best choice. Thanks again,
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back