Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Windows XP Pro Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron51

Vendor
Sep 19, 2002
US
I purshased the full XP Pro, and I am always use to having a 3-1/2 floppy along with the CD when installing to a new Hard Drive. How is the WINDOWS XP PRO installed without the floppy, when you try to install with just the CD, it says that it only runs in windows. So if they didn't ship a floppy with the windows XP Pro, What or how is it installed on a new hard drive? I was goining to install windows 98 se onto the Hard Drive first, but I would like to keep it a clean Win XP install, if I could. Any help would be real good. Thanks, ron51

Have you tried changing your boot settings in the BIOS? Make your first boot device the CD-ROM, and XP will automatically start installing on startup.

If this doesn't work, you should be able to make a set of installation floppies using a command run from DOS. I'll try and get the command sequence for you.

If you want a 98/XP dual boot, the microsoft way, use win98 boot floppy to fdisk & create partition for windows 98, leaving enough space for XP partition (if on same drive). Install win98 on this partition in normal way. Once installed, put XP install CD in drive while in win98 & choose to setup XP. Pick clean install (not upgrade) option and tick box to allow you to choose partition to install it to. When install reboots PC, use XP partitioning tool to create a new partition in the space saved & install XP into it. You will then have a dual boot menu when this is complete.

Note: If you later wish to remove one of operating systems (likely 98), TAKE CARE. All the boot sector files for both operating systems will be on the C: (win98) drive - so don't just format drive to remove win98 or you'll loose access to XP. Precaution. Make an XP boot floppy. Format floppy & copy files ntldr, ntdetect.com & boot.ini from root of your C: (98) drive to floppy. This floppy will boot XP even if you wipe C: drive by mistake.

AAAACK!? Why would you want a dual boot!? If you machine wont boot from CD, goto and down load the 6 floppy images for the XP setup. Boot from these once you have extracted them to actual floppies, this will get enough CD ROM support to finish the setup. The XP setup is pretty clean and should lead you through from the point you power up with the first floppy in. BEHOLD! As Steve Jobs introduces us the latest in desk-lamp technology!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back