Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing windows on seperate partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigr

Technical User
Jul 12, 2001
NZ
What is the best procedure for installing ME on a seperate partition. I have Partition Magic.
Basically i want to reformat the HDD and then install ME and keep it on it's own partition, so i can reinstall windows anytime i please with minimum fuss.

Windows ME must be installed on C: it won't go anywhere else. If you've got a big enough hard drive, I'd suggest reading this: It tells how to completely back up and restore windows with only a few steps. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Install whatever you want on the first partition. Run partition magic. Load boot magic. Create boot floppies for both. Set the second partition active. Load the second OS. Repair boot sector stuff to give you boot capabilities on both. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thanks for the info. But i have a simpler question.
Should i partition the hard drive first before reformatting so I don't have to install partition magic after the reformat, so that i start off with a very clean copy of windows?

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking, but...
If all you want is "a very clean copy of windows", then you don't need to partition or install partition magic.
Just reformat the hard drive and install Windows.

if i reformatt and then install partition magic to create a partition solely for the windows os, won't i have the PM programe included in the partition with the os, which is not what i want.

Install the first OS first. Cleaner that way. Partition magic will install on the first partition. Boot magic will also install there. Both will be worthless after second OS is installed, which is the reason to have the emergency boot disks. You'll have a couple of executables , but I wouldn't consider windows unclean at that point. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back