Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Windows NT 4 - DMI Pool Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

teragram

Technical User
Dec 18, 2001
GB
I am installing Windows NT 4 on a machine that was previously running Windows ME. I used the NT4 setup CD to delete the partition, then reformatted a 3999MB partition as Fat32. It then copied the NT files from the CD and I removed the CD as instructed, and rebooted. The machine stopped at 'Verifying DMI Pool Data'. I have tried doing the setup again, and deleting the partition, but it now gives me the error 'Setup has encountered a fatal error that prevents it from continuing. Status codes (0x5, 0, 0, 0x2). Can anyone help?

hi,

Win NT cannot be installed on a FAT32 Partition, you'll have to reformat it again as FAT16, then carry on the installation.

NT supports only FAT 16 and NTFS file systems. it does not recognise FAT32 partitions.

do give in ur feedback!

Sorry. I formatted it as FAT, and assumed it was FAT 32. I formatted it using the NT CD so the format must be correct. It didn't give me a choice. Any other ideas?

hi,
It does give you a choice, it asks whether to leave the partition as it is, or format as NTFS or FAT, obviously you have given FAT,....just double checking!

tried deleting the 4GB partition?, and then creating a 2GB C: Drive for the installation? just give it a try!

whatz the system configuration like? do you suspect it is a bios problem? are u sure the Hard Disk doesn't have any bad sectors? is the memory sufficient for Win NT?

can't think of any more to check!

do give in ur feedback!

This machine has not really been used since it was purchased less than a year ago. However it worked OK on Windows ME when I was given it. It is a Time machine, and I am not familiar with their setup as we usually purchase Dells. It has a 40Gb hard drive. It originally only had 64mb, but it was taken to a local computer shop, and they took out the installed memory and put 256 mb in. It still worked OK in Windows ME when it was brought back to me. I have done the thorough test of the hard drive in the NT setup. I tried to set it up again with a 2Gb partition as you suggested, but it wouldn't even format the drive. Now I get this message:
Setup has encountered a fatal error that prevents it from continuing. Status codes (0x5, 0, 0, 0x2).

I from India, and i've never heard of Time machines, so not sure how it is. as it is only 1 yrs old the bios surely must be okay to run NT, don't please check that.

the config look okay to run NT, so must have something to do with the BIOS, please be known that NT will recognise the whole 40GB only after you have installed the SP.
I'm genuinely sorry, i accept that i have run out of ideas and cannot be of more help. I'll be keeping an eye on this to see what someone capable to solve this, has to say.

Good Luck buddy, sorry I cudn't be of more help. please post it when you rectify the problem, I wud greately appretiate it!

The problem is solved. Apparently, Windows ME sets up a cache on the hard drive and formatting doesn't eradicate it. I downloaded the manufacturer's program to thoroughly clear every secttion of the drive, and have now installed Windows NT on a 4 GB FAT partition with no problems. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back