Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Windows never been such a pain 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacklow

ISP
May 19, 2007
IL
hey ..

Here's what kept me up all night ...

I have a PC with a Gigabye Motherboard GA-8I915P Duo Pro
which include built in "feature" , Raid controller ( Controller: VIA VT6410 )
I'm only using one IDE HD ( WD1200 ).

entering F6 when i'm prompt and inserting the floppy loaded with the proper drivers which iv'e download from the gigabyte site.
I'm able to get to the part the i accept the agreement and even to part when i configure the partition.
but . . after the drive is being formated by windows the copying procedure take place and got hang after a few seconds ( seeing only 15% completed )

what iv'e tried:

1. switching HD
2. changing channels ( raid on the Motherboard)
3. used the driver from the gigabyte CD and from the website
4. disable / enable raid from the bios
5. using different xp cd installation ( all originals )
6. different CD/DVD drive
7. load default bios settings
8. formating windows in different File system types ( FAT/NTFS)
9. more..

* note: before i've tried to reinstall xp on this pc ..it worked nicely good ( but he had a lot of junk and viruses )

someone ...?

Is the CD/DVD drive on Primary IDE or Secondary? I have had problems with some installs from Primary. Other than that, I'm stumped too. I was going to guess bad media but I've seen you've swapped installation CDs.

Tony

Users helping Users...

If you are not using Raid, "I'm only using one IDE HD ( WD1200 )", do you need to install anything at the F6 prompt?

What happens if you just let XP install onto the hard drive without F6 and Raid drivers?

Installing XP Pro
thread779-1452359

Installing WinXP Pro with SP2 on a SATA HD
thread779-1352505

"Combined Mode" and "emulate IDE Channels" are mentioned near the end of this thread as possible Bios settings to try.

Error Message:Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in you
thread779-972802

"You Receive a File Copy Error During Setup"
310064 - HOW TO: Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me

Disable any Bios virus scanning if you have it.

These MSKB will indicate logs created by Setup which might be helpful.

Setup stops responding with 34 minutes remaining

Setup stops responding or displays an unrecoverable error message

I always assumed RAID required two or more disks. Hence the installation hangs?

Liverpool: Capital of Culture 2008
Anfield: Capital of Football since 1892
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

wahnula ..yes i have tried swapping CD's and cd/dvd drives

schtek , i have also tried different HD drives

linney , sorry but i didn't mention :
when i'm trying to do a simple install, XP installation doesn't recognize my hard drive..(this is why i use F6 )
BTW this is according to gigabyte website.

SlimJohnD , as i mentioned: before i got into all of this
xp worked fine ( using one HD / FAT32 ) .

so what else can i try ?

Are you sure that your memory is ok ? I have seen bad memory cause install problems.

well....i haven't run any diagnostic tool to verify it but,
i had remove one of the sticks ( have two each 256MB ) with
a new one . maybe it's something i need to consider.. I'll give it a check for elimination sake .

Looking at the manual, you've got 3 IDE connectors - one is 'normal' the other 2 are the RAID option. But there's also a bios option to disable the RAID - which should turn the other 2 into normal IDE's too - ie, no need for F6 and extra drivers.

Or you could (to see if works) put the optical drive and hard drive on the one normal IDE. If neither of these options work, then assuming optical drive and install CD ok, must be bad other hardware.

well....I have tried switching IDE connectors ( only one is IDE ) and also disabling RAID in the BIOS..
still no change .
its seems like the manufacture design the IDE channel only for Optical drives devices ( strange but it doesn't recognize anything else ).

well... according to the elimination factor it leaves me (us) with a "broken" motherboard..but for some reason i'm refusing to quit / give up ...I'm sensing there's something i haven't tried yet . . .

Contacted the manufacturer's Help and Support?

From the manual:
(1) Installing IDE hard drive(s) in your system
Attach one end of the IDE cable to the rear of the IDE hard drive and the other end to IDE port(s) controlled
by the VT6410 RAID controller on the motherboard. (To ensure that your IDE CD-ROM can work
properly, please connect it to the IDE1 port (controlled by the Southbridge) and connect your hard drives
to IDE2/IDE3 ports ). Then connect the power connector from your power supply to the hard drive(s).

You will need TWO exact same drives...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Forgot to mention:
Make sure the Onboard H/W RAID item is set to
Enabled (Enabled by default). If you set this option to Disabled, the VT6410 IDE controller
will be disabled and will not support any devices.

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

If you jumper the hard drive as slave and add it to the ide cable the cd is on (set as master) does it allow installation?

tlcscousin Salvation ...

i can swear i have already tried that !!
the thing is that when i did ,
the bios's POST didn't show a detection for the IDE drive.. so i thought there is no way windows will...but apparently windows detect the hard drive (and the bios didn't , how wierd ) the installation went well...thanks guys...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back