Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installing windows me on windows 98se

Status
Not open for further replies.

suleayinla

Technical User
May 2, 2002
I have been trying to install windows 98se on my current windows me in my system. All the time I got error messages saying that installation of earlier version of OS is disabled by the winme. I have had years of faultless use of win98se, so, I want to go back. Thanks in advance.
Sule

You should save all your data to another drive then reformat the drive. You can't "downgrade" WinME to Win98SE.

You can not install over top, if that is what you are trying to do.

If you have upgraded from Windows 98 to Windows ME you can try the instructions below.

If not, you will need to delete the windows me files and folder and then install 98. Back up your data first.

Alternately, you can format the disk and start over...which is probably the best case scenario.

Good Luck! Kimber

The more I learn,I realize how much more there is to know!

You can't just delete the WinME folders. There are hidden files that need to be deleted too (io.sys, msdos.sys, command.com, etc.).

I would recommend not going backwards to win98, but to go forward to Win2000. It is much more stable than 98 or ME and it is made for networking. If you are using Broadband with a NIC connection, then you will see an enormous speed increase with 2000.

Just an idea. Good luck, and Happy Computing

I would have to dissagree with "enormous speed increase", a properly configured 98 would do just as well on a broadband connection.

2000 is a much more stable OS though, and one of Microsoft's better offerings.

The enormous speed increase was from personal experience with my home LAN. Win98 is not a true network OS and as soon as i installed a NIC in my 98 machine, it was like dragging a battleship anchor behind a row boat.
I dumped 98, installed 2000 and the machine ran better and faster than the day it was new. In a networking environment, 2000 will leave 98 standing still. Good luck, and Happy Computing

I am running both 98SE and 2000 on the same network with equal comptrs and can see no difference in speed. I also see no improvement in the 2000 over 98 in any respect.

I have a dual-boot machine with Win2K and Win98SE. So far, Win2K can do everything that Win98SE can do. Win2K does "feel" much more stable.

My brother had WinME, hated it, and went back to Win98. He bought a new computer and has WinXP and hasn't complained since....

If Windows ME was installed over Win 98, it can be removed by going to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs and clicking to remove it from there. That will remove all the ME files and restore the Win 98.

I don't blame you for wanting 98SE back. Until XP, it was the best OS on the market.
Good luck.

I have to disagreewith oldcomptrguy, 98se was an awesome os, but w2k pro, blows it away if it is installed correctly. unless you are a huge gamer w2k is much better and more stable than xp right now, I am sure in time, all the people complaining to MS will get xp up to par. but as we all know that is what we are here for. to make sure gates makes money. If you want a fast and stable OS, one should look into linux. Doesnt have all the bells and whistles as windows, hence much faster, however you must have a good knowledge of computers to use it as it is not user friendly. Ask Bill Gates how good it is, as he has been trying to buy the rights to it for years, because he knows it will hit mainstream soon. In closing, the operating system one chooses, is based mainly upon what the operator intends on doing with the system. Just because it is newer does not make it better. good luck to everyone and try your own OS's, find the one you like best. Mutt everyday you learn something new, the day you dont is the day you die....so make someone live longer teach them something.......MUTT

suleayinla stated wants to go back to 98.....arent we a little ahead of ourselves with unsolicited opinion/comparison of OS?

98 is fine for what most ppl do ....and as I stated in my first post...the FILES and folder of ME have to come out before you can go to 98 again. I also gave instructions (the URL) to uninstall if it were an upgrade to ME.

I think the rest of the conversation belongs in another thread guys??

[noevil]

Lets not scare anyone away from our thread! [lol]
Kimber

Thank you all. I have learnt a lot more from the opinions, comparisons and suggestions. I hope this goes for others too. One great thing about here is that you cant be here without learning things. I heve gracefully gone back to my trusted OS(Win98se)and it feel good to be back once again. I had earlier installed winme on one of my two partitions. All I did was to back up my files, reformated the C: partition and reinstalled. It all went well.
Kudos to all of you guys.

Thank you for the feedback Sule....
It is nice to know when we have helped and what fixed things up.

Have a great day! Kimber

Thank you, Kimber. I need to make this known too. From this forum I got a link to an important faster defrag files for WinMe and Win9x. It worked for my systems and actually beat norton version hands down somewhat. This is also for the records.
Thanks
Sule

The truth being;

Windows 98SE is based largly on NT4 (disassemble them components and see for yourself). The largest part of the "unstability" is the FIOLOG.VXD (File IO Logging) that Microsoft threw in to log every file you open, where it's located etc. Once removed, the stability shoots up to beat even my experience of RedHat Linux.

Windows 2000 being NT5 is obviously more "Network" orientated and aware.

I've got to say that _BOTH_ of these OS's have thier own merit and far outstrip any other Micro$oft product ;)

As for Windows ME - it's the "last-ditch-attempt" from Micro$oft to make an operating system for the user without NT support - they ripped out MS-DOS and rewrote it's kernel, tried to introduce networking features where they had previously disabled them (see Win98SE), and throw in a multitude of excessive programmes to weigh the system down, thus Windows ME is possibly the biggest mistake made by them.

In short - you're best FORMATTING the drive and installing 98SE anew. ME doesn't like to "share" or "be removed".

As the original sin pointed out about 98 and the vxd files. check out this site and you can fix the problem(s) yourself very easily and quickly. good luck.
everyday you learn something new, the day you dont is the day you die....so make someone live longer teach them something.......MUTT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back