Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtlougan

Technical User
Jan 2, 2006
US
How do I go about reinstalling Windows 98 without the restore cd or Windows 98 CD (they have been misplaced)? I know the backup is on the computer on one of the drives, but I don't know how to access it and repair/reinstall Windows 98. Can anyone help me?

Several useful FAQ's on site.

Have you read them?
In your message body click on:

Check out the
FAQ
area for this
forum!

After reading, and trying the solutions offered; if no JOY then
post back for more help from members.

smitee

I know the backup is on the computer on one of the drives, but I don't know how to access it and repair/reinstall Windows 98. Can anyone help me?

Do you mean a backup equivalent to a restore disk? Basically, we can't help you unless we know what you've got. If you have something like a restore image on one of your hard drives, then it may be possible to get you back to a 'factory 98' install. Any info you can give us about the PC (eg, if its a particular make and model, someone here may know what's available) would be helpful.

I do have a restore image on one of my hard drives, but I don't know how to access it. I purchased the computer in 98 it had Windows 98 on it. I uninstalled an antivirus program and that is when I started getting all sorts of error messages. Now it tells me to reinstall Windows 98, but I can't find my CD to reinstall it. Is it possible to purchase it and will it work on my computer?

You can purchase any windows 98 cd and it will work. Just I dont think id bother unless you can find a cheap one as microsoft does not support windows 98 anymore.

YOu might look into the BIOS to see if there is a restore there.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

At one time, the convention was to put all the setup files in a folder called C:\windows\options\cabfiles (or similar).

To reinstall Windows, run C:\windows\options\cabfiles\setup.exe from either within Windows or by re-booting to the DOS prompt (either from a floppy diskette or via hitting F8 as the POST finishes.

LIVERPOOL FC - 5 times Champions of Europe. 1977, 1978, 1981, 1984, 2005.
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

If you have a restore image, as produced by the machine's manufacturer, then their website would probably be best place to find instructions on how to use it. Could be need to create a bootable floppy, or as Ed says, start from bios or....

As also has been said, if you buy a copy of 98, you can install that (you may need to visit websites for specific drivers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back