Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Windows 98 over Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason12776

Technical User
Nov 15, 2001
US
Wasn't sure which group to post this is. Sorry if it's the wrong one.

I currently had Windows 2000 on a machine and a request was made to install windows 98. So I ran fdisk, delted the partition, and created it again. Formatted the partition, which it didn't seem like it did anything. I then went to run the windows 98 setup from the cd and it was I got the message,
Please wait while setup initializes.
Scanning the registry.
Windows setup requires 7340032 by

I'm assuming it means bytes. But the setup freezes at this point. I'm also assuming that with Windows 2000, it had NTFS, which Windows 98 does not support right? If it does, is there a way I can make it to FAT?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Hi,

I am unsure why you would want to revert back to Windows 98?

Are you having performance issues with Windows 2000?

The 7340032, I believe your assumption is correct that it does mean bytes, as I have never installed Operating Systems over existing data (i.e. I always Reformat or use blank Hard Disks), Don't quote me on my advise here. But do check what's left on your Hard disk space.

You should leave enough for the main installation and any temp files. If you have at least 1 GB free, this should be ample for Windows 98 OS installation.

The only way I know of converting NTFS back to FAT or FAT32 is using third party software like PowerQuest Partition Magic.

I am unsure about the Freezing point at the moment. I let you know if i come across anything on this.

Can you not backup your data and then just simply Fdisk and reformat your drive and then install Windows 98 as normal?

Hope this helps.

Any further thoughts, please post them here.

Thanks

Andy

It's not me that wants to revert back, it's my Doctor. His games are not compatible with 2000 and doesn't want to download the patches for them. It takes too long. Anyway, I already formatted the disk and currently have no operating system so I have the full 18 GB harddrive avaliable; which is why I don't understand that error. I didn't create any partitions so I'm lost.

If you run fdisk check the current partiions.
Delete any partions en you have to create a new one.
You also can format the HDD by using format C: and don't use the /s

Do you have an fulll version off windows 98?

If, for some reason, the 98 boot disk isn't formating the HD properly you could toss in the 2000 disk and reformat using that. It offers you the choice of Fat32 or NTFS. You'll obviously want the Fat32. ====================================
I love people. They taste just like
chicken!

I got the partitions to work, but now, for some reason, I cannot install windows 98. I get the message, Windows Setup Requires 7340032 Bytes. Any ideas?

I had a similar problem. I couldn't install 98 or ME on a PC (in this case it has been running 98 already!) The solution was to reset the BIOS by shorting jumpers on the Mobo. Don't ask me why this worked, but it did!

Let me know if this works for you!

RMPUK

XTRO, I do have a full Windows 98 and 98SE install CD. RMPUK, how do I reset the BIOS? What is the MOBO? Then what do I do after resetting the bios, just delete/create the partition, format, and install like normal? What steps are involved in resetting the BIOS? I have never done anything like that before.

To reset the BIOS, you will need your motherboard manual handy. If you don't have it, do a search on the web and try to get it from the manufactuer's web site. Read it and find out what jumpers is used to reset the BIOS (alternatively "clear the CMOS"). Usually the process involves moving a jumper from two pins to another two, and then moving it back straight away. Of course, do all this with the PC switched off!

I don't know how old your PC is, but you may want to make a note of your BIOS drive settings before doing this in case they don't autodetect.

Hope this helps.

RMPUK

RMPUK, this is for solving the issue of the message I receive, "Windows setup requires 7340032 bytes" right?

Just a small question - when you fdisked to delete & recreate partition, you DID reboot the PC before formatting?

It sounds like a step is being missed here.

Using a Win98 boot disk in the floppy drive, start the machine. It should default to "Start Win98 w/CDROM support"

at the A:> prompt type fdisk - when it asks if you want to enable large disk support say YES

choose 4) view partition information

IS THE PARTITION TYPE DOS, NON-DOS , or what? NOTE the logical drives and partition info

press esc to go back, choose the option to delete either the non-dos partition, dos extended partition, dos primary partition or whatever is there to delete. REMEMBER you must delete logical drives first, then extended partitions, then primary partitions in order. You will have to reboot at least once during this process for changes to take effect.

when you have everything deleted, THEN create a new primary partition. After you create the new primary partition you must reboot with the boot disk still in the floppy drive; at the A:> prompt you can issue the format c: command and it SHOULD TAKE A WHILE to complete this.

If at this point you are getting an error like ".....may cause your computer not to recognize the c: drive" there is a good chance that you have a drive with an overlay. You can almost always download a "drive management tool" from the manufacturer's website. They almost always have overlay installation and removal tools on them. I say this because you mention that the install CD is saying it requires space on the drive; so it is either not recognizing the HD or the HD is not properly set up.

If you have problems after all these steps then it is not anything to do with the harddisk. And I agree that perhaps a bios reset is in order -- BUT make sure you have noted any special settings you may need, as a bios reset puts all settings to default values! [thumbsup2] Email me! denodave@yahoo.com
Real men pray...especially techies!

wolluf, Yes, I restarted every time I made a change, after deleting, after creating, then after formatting.

denodave, I did successfully manage to install windows XP, with the only problem being no sound and a slight conflict with the video card. Anyway, when I get the drive management tool from the MFG, do I install them on the HD, or put them on the boot disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back