Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Windows 98 OEM version on a Newly formatted disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

shbooth

Technical User
Jan 11, 2000
US
Visit site
Here goes<br>
I just fdisked and formatted a P11 233. I am using 1 partion for the complete disk. I created a 98 boot disk so that I would have support for the cd-rom.<br>
<br>
I start the pc with the boot disk in the a drive. It appears to load ok. I have a,c,d,e drives. I go to the E: drive and type &quot;SETUP&quot; . The scandisk runs and tells me that the free space is reporting wrong and it can fix the problem, I let it and it then starts the install of 98. Just when you get the windows 98 install screen it stops and hangs the machine. The same thing happens when I try to load 95 back (I do reformat the disk so the right command.com is installed and partion the disk for 2.0G) and the same thing happens. I have run out of things to try.<br>
<br>
If anybody can help please do as I am about to kill the the dam thing.<br>
<br>
Thanks SHBOOTH <p>Dr. Steven H. Booth<br><a href=mailto:steve@synergytech.com>steve@synergytech.com</a><br><a href= Technologies</a><br>

How large is the hard drive? Just a thought... it might not be fully supported by the BIOS.

The disk is only a 2.5G drive. It was set up on the 95 system as 1 at 1.2 and 1.3 (C, D). <p>Dr. Steven H. Booth<br><a href=mailto:steve@synergytech.com>steve@synergytech.com</a><br><a href= Technologies</a><br>

It comes up with SONY at the start of the booting. I was not aware that there is a SONY BIOS, if so are there any bios upgrades or patches that we can use? <p>Dr. Steven H. Booth<br><a href=mailto:steve@synergytech.com>steve@synergytech.com</a><br><a href= Technologies</a><br>

Is your cdrom a Sony?<br>
<br>
I would try copying the installation files into a directory, and try to install from that directory. Maybe your cd drive is having problems reading the files from the cdrom? <br>
<br>
I tried to install Corel Linux, and found that some of my install files were corrupt, and couldn't be read from my cd. I realize you are installing Windows, but it could be the same problem.

THANKS TO YOU ALL..........<br>
<br>
The problem turned out to be bad ram on a video board. When I replaced the board the problem went away. This is a first for me I have never I say NEVER seen this to cause a program to stop loading. It appears that when the video changes on the screen the bad ram caused some sort of interupt and halted the loading. By the way I tested the ram on the video card before I posted this message. I guess you are nerver to old or smart enough to learn new things.....<br>
<br>
Thanks again for all your help and I hope this might help someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back