Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installing windows 2000. Urgent

Status
Not open for further replies.

elibb

Programmer
Oct 22, 2001
MX
hi... im trying to install windows 2000 professional on my computer, and i completed the installation, but now when i want to enter to windows it asks me for a domain name, and no matter what i write it doesnt let me in.. any idea?
i put as domain group mshome, and i named the computer simba, but i never set a password or anything. i just have the computer connected to another computer with windows me..
please help!!!

Eli

Can you log in locally, with the username "Administrator" and the password you specified during the install?

erik

no i cannt.
im trying to install it again, i hope it works...

Eli

My advice....Please note down, all the parameters you would have provided to Windows during the installation of OS, in you notebook.
This may help you login next time.

prasanna

When you get to the logon prompt select options and see if it has two choices. Local and the domain you specified.You are not part of a domain if you are running two computers, one being ME the other W2K professional. To have a domain you need a server running.Log on locally and go to system,then network identification then change to a workgroup.You can call the workgroup mshome if you want. As long as both computers are in the same workgroup and have IP addresses in the same subnet they will or at least once set up right,communicate. Just remember that in order for the ME computer to access files on the W2K machine an account must be set up for the ME computers user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back