Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Windows 2000 on Hard Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpatters55

Technical User
May 9, 2004
US
Hello folks,

Sorry for the remedial question but I need to install Windows 2000 on a blank hard disk. The comnputer I will be installing the OS will have a 3.5" floppy, a 6GB hard disk and a CD drive.

I have Windows 2000 on CD so is it just a simple matter of reconfiguring the BIOS to read from the Windows 2000 CD? What if I need to format the HD? Any hint, technique tips, etc is greatly appreciated. I have seen various boot disks for CDs and floppies. Would I need a boot disk?

Thanks, Bill

Just boot from the CD. Windows 2000 lets you format the disk when your setting it up

Tyant,

So the Win2000 will have drivers and my CD will recognize it and boot to Win2000 setup?

Thanks for the help. Bill

Bill,
Depending on the Age of the CD-Rom that you are using it may need to have the drives load, in which case you might have to make boot diskette's. Boot with a floppy or 98 and have Win 200 cd handy. I forget what directory you have to look in but, there is an option to make Win2000 boot diskette's.

I most cases you will not have to worry about CD-rom drivers.

Just change the CMOS setting to boot of your CD-rom and you should be good to go.

Randy

If you can't get you Computer to boot directly from the CD you can use a Win98 boot disk. Make sure you boot with CD ROM support. Then browse your Win2000 CD to the I386 folder and run SETUP.

Should work.

Martin

Thanks folks. I will give her a try. The PC should be here by the end of the week. Not a bad deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back