Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Windows 2000 on a computer with Windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bachenot

Programmer
Mar 6, 2000
US
Hi<br><br>I'm new to Windows NT and Windows 2000.<br><br>I wanted to use Visual Basic enterprise with my home computer, so I tried to put Windows 2000 Professional on top of Windows 98. I found numerous problems, such as the inability to use COM+.<br><br>My question is: How can I install Windows 2000 on this computer without having Windows 98? I can't find a way to do this. If I could format drive C, my hard drive, I could then install Windows 2000.<br><br>Another alternative is to remove the hard disk that contains the C drive; replace it with another hard disk and install Windows 2000. Any suggestions?<br><br>Thanks

well you could install Win2k Over win98, if thats not what you have done already, but should do fine if you just format your drive, provided you have a way of accessing the CD, either by booting off it, or using a bootdisk to load CD drivers.<br> <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

Hi Karl<br><br>I did install Win2k Over win98. That caused the problems.<br><br>I'd like to bypass win98 altogether. I know how to format in DOS, but it is difficult to use DOS in Win2k. I've checked several Win2K books to see if there is a way to issue a format command from the CD, but haven't found an answer. There is nothing about formatting the C drive. That's why I thought removing the C hard drive and installing a new hard drive in its place. Then I'd install win2k, bypassing win98 althogether.<br><br>Thanks.<br><br>

Formatting can be a second step.&nbsp;&nbsp;first, boot to dos, use fdisk to wipe your hd (do you have partitions?), then boot to w2k setup.&nbsp;&nbsp;during the first part of w2k setup, it will give you the option to create a disk partition, and format it for you, all in the wizard.<br><br>good luck! <p> <br><a href=mailto: anongod@hotmail.com> anongod@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>"Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.

From MS, KB Q250456<br>You can do this using the Recovery Console on the Windows 2000 CD-ROM if your computer supports a bootable CD-ROM or by using the four Windows 2000 startup disks. Reformatting or repartitioning a disk deletes all the data on it, so make sure you back up your data. <br><br>To use the Recovery Console, follow these steps: <br>Start the computer using the Windows 2000 CD-ROM or Startup disks.<br><br>When the Welcome to Setup screen is displayed, press F10.<br><br>In the Recovery Console, choose the installation and log on using your Administrator password.<br><br>Type map, and then press ENTER.<br><br>Note the drive you want to reformat.<br><br>Type format x: /fs:ntfs, where x is the letter of the drive you want to format and NTFS is the file system you want to use.<br><br>Type y to confirm your choice. When the formatting process is finished, type exit to restart the computer.<br><br>Now you have a clean drive on which to install Win2K<br> <p>Malcolm Wynden<br><a href=mailto:wynden@island.dot.net>wynden@island.dot.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

One other thing - after you have wiped your drive of the previous Win2K install (along with everything else), when you reinstall, if you are using an upgrade license Win2K CD, you will be prompted to provide a CD from the Windows product from which you are upgrading. <p>Malcolm Wynden<br><a href=mailto:wynden@island.dot.net>wynden@island.dot.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Maybey I don't fully understand the requirement here but, why not just dual boot ..? My experience was ..from Win 98 run the Win 2k Professtional setup - then choose a clean install , choose to manually partition (assuming you have enough free disk space) add a partition (not an ntfs partition unless you don't need to see this partition from win98) the new partition will be formatted for you - there's no need to use fdisk .<br><br>After that you can trash Win98 if you don't want it and continue with Win2k.<br><br>Or you could save yourself all this the hassle and program with a real lang like java :)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

After you have installed Win2K over 98 , a clean install is no longer a serious option.&nbsp;&nbsp;I installed over 98, followed all the rules, uninstalled all the programs that I got warnings about, and ended up with a slow, bloated install of Win2K.&nbsp;&nbsp;I decided that I didn't want to live with that for the next two years or so, so tried to do a clean install.&nbsp;&nbsp;To do this, you would need to either revert to 98 (not possible) or install on another partition, then remove the first installation.&nbsp;&nbsp;It was time for the brute force of fdisk, which is hidden but available during the installation of Win2k. <p>Malcolm Wynden<br><a href=mailto:wynden@island.dot.net>wynden@island.dot.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

It sounds like you already know the anwser to your questions. Formatting will work as well as replacing the harddive.<br><br>llamalord<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back