Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installing win98 on old system

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosierie

Technical User
Jan 29, 2003
US
I purchased an Acer Celeron 600. I tried installing Win98 on the CD-ROM and it gave me a message saying that the system already has Win98 and it would let me go on to install Win98 from the CD-ROM. It told me to boot Win98 from the hard disk, run setup, and hit F1 for instructions. At the c: prompt I typed in run setup but nothing happened. Can someone please help me. Thank you.

Hi rosierie,

I would recommend formatting the hard drive and then installing a fresh copy of win98. Use a win98 boot disk to boot the machine ( and then from the a: prompt type in "format c:" once this is done, reboot and use your bootdisk one more time. Then change to your cd-rom drive and run the setup from there.

Hope this helps... mot98
[pc]
"I'm a doctor...not a magician"

Hello,

Thank you to all of you. I will definitely try your tips. I have a bootdisk made already. Just have to read and follow the instructions on formatting the hard drive. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again,

Rosierie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back