Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installing win95 from the cd without any cd drivers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRJohnston

Technical User
Sep 9, 2001
GB
I have just bought an ex company computer, which had all their passwords and applications. I wiped the hard drive in order to reinstall Win95.
I made a win95 start up disk to start the installation but it did not include any driver for my CD drive and so it would not allow me to initiate the set-up process from the CD.

I tried editing the Config.sys (on the disk) to include the line:
device=A:\tricd.sys /d:cd/

and a this line in the autoexec.bat file:

a:\ mscdex.exe /d:cd/

but it still would not let me access the CD drive
can anyone help?

but it still would not let me access the cd drive
can anyone help?

On a more simpler way, if you know ANYONE with a 95 or 98 system, make a boot disk, which gives the option load CD drivers (Generic) should then work.

Not sure if 95 does it, I know 98 does.

Fatz

Have you tried adding LASTDRIVE=Z to the CONFIG.SYS file?

ROGER - GØAOZ.

You didn't say that you had the file tricd.sys on the floppy root. If you didn't, it should have given an error. If you did, then the driver wasn't the appropriate one. If you had used the [F8] key at the start of boot you would have interactive control with the error messages staying on screen long enough to read.
Use a 98 boot disk. It should fit about 95% of the possible drives. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

i am sorry that i didn't make myself very clear.

the boot disk does have a tricd.sys device on it but with the command lines, that i was told would work, failed to allow me to access the cd drive at all.

i cant seem to find the divice that is used for my cd drive either.

i hope this is more clear

One thing to try. Make your device driver (config.sys and autoexec.bat) /d:cd0 or something other than the slash that you had. don't know if drivers allow the slash.
If that doesn't help, then I suspect that the tricd.sys is not the right driver. But use the [F8] method of looking for error messages. If the driver finds the CD it should report that it found it, the port, and the driver name. MSCDEX should then report that it assigned a drive letter to a driver by the same name as config.sys had set.
HTH.
You could go out to acer , aopen, or oak web sites and download a generic DOS ATAPI driver to see if it works. You might also check on windrivers.com. At some point you might also quit fighting and buy another CD drive with drivers included.
Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Hello, MRJohnston.

Make sure the following skeleton is in order.

Config.sys
------------
DOS = HIGH, UMB
DEVICE = A:\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE = A:\TRICD.SYS /D:MSCD001

AUTOEXEC.BAT
-------------
LH A:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001

regards - tsuji

i tried what tsuji sugested but i still could not get it to work so i went to bootdisk.com and downloades a disk called techw0rm from w0rm. it was very usefull as i had just about everything you could ever need from a boot disk. i highly recomend it.

thanks to everyone who contributed to my problem s-)

Goto dowload the 158.exe ( Any CD Rom )
creat this disk. add folder called MSCDEX. find MSCDEX.EXE on a good machine, copy it to this folder.
Format c:\ /q/u/s (WIN95 BOOT DISK) Win98 has cdboot
insert mitsumi floppy
copy a:\mscdex\*.* c:now run the SETUPD.exe
reboot and you now have cdrom

This cd rom driver works with ANY cdrom... i have not found a cdrom that it wouldn't work with.
good-luck!

Admin
cbordin@windsorgear.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back