Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Win XP Pro SP2 on MSI K7N2 Delta2-FSR SATA Raid configura

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasiii

Programmer
Nov 21, 2005
US
I have an OEM version of Windows XP SP2 I am trying to install on the above motherboard. I have set up the drives in the bios once as striping once as jbod. Windows starts to install, comes up and says press F6 to install 3rd party or raid drivers. When the message comes up to press 'S' to select the driver it goes to my floppy and shows me 2 drivers. I select the first one, go back to the original screen, press 'S' again to install the other one, then press enter to continue. Windows starts installing but I get to a point where it says it can't find the viaraid.sys file. I press enter to try again and the same thing. I press escape to bypass the file, and about 5 or 6 different files come up that it can't find. End result is I can't install windows onto my SATA raid, a blue screen error comes up. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Did you take the floppy disk out? I beleive I have seen the install copy the drivers to the hard drive later on. Anyway you may want to leave the driver disk in until the first reboot.

I have left the floppy in there during the install. I've used different floppies. I know the floppy drive is good because I can read the floppies on my old version of windows on an IDE drive. I get the messages that it can't find the driver files while the install screens are still in 'DOS' looking mode. It can't find any of the files nvraid.sys, nvraid.inf, etc., that are in the root directory of the floppy.

I was able to install windows on the SATA drive although it was not in raid configuaration, so I have my C drive as the first SATA and the 2nd SATA drive is my D drive. Not what I want to accomplish. I WANT STRIPING! And by the way, I'm getting maddder by the minute.

I called Microsoft for help and they charged me $35 for a support call because I had an OEM version and not retail, which would have been free. All they gave me for my $35 was a phone number for my hard drive manufacturer and my motherboard manufacturer. Thanks for all of your help Microshaft!

faq779-4641, see if that helps any... remember the drivers mentioned there may not reflect the ones used on your system, but general guideline is there...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back