Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing VSE 8.5i on a Vista Workstation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chippokes

Technical User
Apr 21, 2004
US
We have started evaluating Vista on a couple of test workstations and have run into a problem when installing the release version on 11/29/06. Seems VSE 8.5i will not install unless you have Common Management Agent 3.6 installed prior to installing 8.5. The installation fails as soon as the Netopsys finishes compiling the install files on the Vista workstation. The error message states you must have CMA 3.6 installed to install VSE 8.5. Anyone else having the same issue?

Is your Vista PC being managed by ePO? I know my XP and 2K test PCs are managed by ePO so when I attempt to install VSE 8.5i, I get the same message. To correct it, I checked in the CMA 3.6 package (available from McAfee's web site where you supply your grant number) into my test ePO Server and then deployed the agent upgrade. Once my ePO Agents were upgraded from 3.5.5.438 to 3.6.0, the VSE 8.5i upgrade proceeds without any problems.

Since these are test workstations, we have not deployed any agents to them. At this time we are running ePO 3.5 with patch 6 in the enterprise. The plan is to upgrade to ePO 3.6.1 within the next week. One of our engineers was able to install the RC2 version of VSE 8.5 on his Vista workstation but not the production version. I have placed a question with McAfee on this subject.

Looks like we will need to wait until I finish deploying ePo 3.6.1 then install VSE 8.5. Thanks for your input.

Good luck with the ePO Server 3.6.1 upgrade! After successfully upgrading my test ePO Server last week, I did my production server last night and the install failed near the end of the upgrade. Ended up having to restore my ePO Server from my last Ghost image backup and database backup to get it restored. Currently have a support call logged with McAfee to try and get this resolved.

We figured it out. You need to turn off the "User Account Control" option in Vista which allowed VSE 8.5 to be installed. Seems to be running fine but is not currently controlled by ePO due to ePO 3.5 being in production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back