Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing the print driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renquest

ISP
Oct 17, 2008
US
I logon to my Citrix server (Metaframe 1.8) through ICA client connection with admin equivalent account and installed the printer driver. Now I can't print from my workstation. error: "Device settings cannot be desplayed. The driver for the specified printer is not installed. Only spooler properties will be displayed. Do you want to install new driver?."
When I click yes -it install a driver and I chose yes to keep the existing driver. If I try to print I get the same error message again.

The printer you are trying to install is it a networked printer on a seperate server or a client printer?

Brian,
Thank you for responding.
It is a network printer that I am testing it on. The problem started when I install the printer driver from my workstation. This morning, I tried to re-install a driver (any driver) to the Server console (change user /install) and this never resolved the problem.

Renquest,

Where is your workstation in relation to the Citrix Server? Is it connecting remotely, across a WAN, or is it on the WAN?

Can you create the Printer on your Workstation BEFORE connecting to the Citrix Server via ICA? If so, and your "Auto-Create Client Printer" configuration settings are setup correctly, it should auto-create the printer and make it available for your client. If your clietn is remote and you can only connect to the printer once you are attached through your ICA connection, then you should install the printer at the server and share it so that other clients can connect to it.

You don't need to put the Server in INSTALL mode (CHANGE USER /INSTALL) to install a printer driver.

Can you be a little more specific about how you are setup in relation to the server and where the printer is located? If so, I might be able to give you a littel better help.

Renquest,

IF your "Auto-Create Printer" configuration settings are setup correctly and the printer does not auto-create you will need to modify the printer translation file, %SystemRoot%\System32\wtsuprn.inf. For an good example of printer translations see the sample file at From my personal experience I using the translation file works better than installing the driver on Citrix.

BWK

BWK, thats good advice, but the wtsuprn.inf file will only map a client printer whose driver has a different name than what is shown on the server... If the Citrix Server doesn't have a driver installed for the printer in question, it won't matter what you map to in the wtsuprn.inf file...

Also, I realize Renquest said he was running Metaframe 1.8 and thats great... But if anyone reading this is running Citrix XP, it might be good to note here that you SHOULD NOT try modifying the wtsuprn.inf file under XP, as, although you can still do it, and the result will work... changes you make directly to the file will not be reflected when you view the mappings through the Management Console....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back