Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Terminal Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuupton

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2005
GB
Morning All,

We have a server that we currently use as our mail server, this is currently its sole purpose and is hardly using any of the machines capabilities, so what we want to do is to set this server up to work as a terminal services server as well, hoped this would just be a case of running through the wizard but it tells us that any applications currently installed would ned to be reinstalled after TS was completed, is there a way round this?

Thanks for any help

As an aside; first I would avoid comibining server tasks. You have indicated that this an e-mail server is not used heavily. Now bare in mind that a mail server is network I/O intensive since messages are flowing. Adding a terminal services role in application mode (depending on the number of users) can actually exasperate performance (let alone I find this to be a security risk).
With that said, in terms of terminal services what will you be hosting as an application(s)? If you are planning on having the currently installed apps run in terminal services mode then ye indeed they need to be re-installed
If you are installing applications after installing terminal service then this may not be necessary
Hope this helps.

Thanks, it is only going to be used for 2 or 3 users to connect, my big concern was that the install would prevent the mail server from operating, we currently use an application called VPOP3 to handle all of our mail, the other option I do have is an older Dell poweredge 2600 running Server 2000 that is currently sat doing nothing.

If there are only 2-3 users connecting, then you don't need full blow TS. TS in admin mode should work fine for you (2 standard sessions + 1 console connection avail)

I agree with itsp1965. Installing terminal server on that server would open up a whole other can of worms. Not to mention I wouldn't have clients touching a server that even has limited access to the email server. Too many bad experiences with new clients where their old IT people had terminal services running on servers with AD, Exchange, ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back