Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing 'Symmetrical Multiprocessor'

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernie01

MIS
Mar 18, 2003
AU
Hi folks,
I have recently been given the task of installing a product on a SCO 5.0.7 system called 'Symmetrical Multiprocessor' (I'll call it SM for short)from a 'SCO Open server Update Service'set of CD's.
I have NO SCO experience, but am most familiar with AIX.
Reading the installation instuctions on the CD it seems that I may have to boot from the CD to get into the menus where I can select SM. Is this correct, or is there a way to selectively install SM from the CD without a reboot? This is a production system and I was hoping to be able to install the product like I would install a fileset on an AIX system but my quick read of the instructions doesn't seem to indicate a process to do this.
Any advice appreciated!
Thank you, Bernie.

I haven't done this since 5.0.4, but my guess is the method hasn't changed.

Make a good backup.
Boot the system, log in as root, and type "custom".
This will give you a menu and a list of currently installed components. Insert the CD with SMP on it, and select "Software --> Install New --> this system --> CDROM.
The utility will read all the packages on the CD and present you with a list. Just highlight the SMP package (hit space bar to enable (shows an asterisk *)).

There are typically rules regarding the order certain packages, patches, and maintenance packs are installed. Search around on SCO's website for details.

Thank you motoslide, that sounds good. I'm hoping I can get hold of a 'sandpit system' where I can install SCO then try and install SMP using your method before doing the prod system. Thanks again.

WARNING: before installing the SMP package you have to rollback all OS updates and reinstall them after SMP.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Thank you PH.
So another question, how do I determine which OS updates (if any) have been applied? I believe that this is a fairly recent install of 5.0.7 so possibly there have been none. Unfortunately this system is on a customer site and I currently have no access from here (hope to be able to VPN in soon and utilise man pages etc.). Meanwhile I'll check out the SCO site.
Thanks, Bernie.

man custom

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Thanks PH,
I'll check out man pages for custom when I get access to the system.
Regards, Bernie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back