Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing SP3 on Exchange 2000, how long will that take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdcr

IS-IT--Management
Oct 3, 2001
US
We have one E2K server on a W2K server (Dell Poweredge dual 450MHz processors, 1Gb RAM) and need to install Service Pack 3. Anyone venture to guess how long that will take? Our total store size is about 12Gb, and wanted to schedule this install as soon as possible. Many thanks

The update itself will just take a few minutes.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

It is dependent on processor and disk, not store size. Lander's right - it will down the store then a couple of minutes then up the store. Probably no more than 15 minutes start to finish.

Yep, we did the SP3 install after work one day, took about 20 minutes, then after the restart, no problems. Thanks for the info!

mdcr, your lucky, I did SP3 2 days ago and have a lump of metal that use to be my companies mail server.
I cannot start the MTA, System Attendant or information Services. I have lost my 'M' Drive and cannot mount any of the databases for mail.
I received errors during the SP3 install relating to being unable to register various dll's.
System log talks of mad.exe failures and everyone will be in the office tomorrow to be welcomed by no email.
I may be stacking shelves by the end of the week !!

Have you tried to reinstall SP3 and/or manually register those DLL's? Made any progress since yesterday?

that all stems from system attendant being unable to start. This is down to the dll errors. Reinstall SP3 again.

just make sure you turn off any Antivirus software before installing the service pack!!

bad things otherwise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back