Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing SP2 on XP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFK

IS-IT--Management
Dec 9, 2003
US
A quick question. When installing Service Pack 2 on an XP Computer with SP1, is it first neccessary to run the updates for SP1, or will the install of SP2 take care of that?

Thanks.

SP2 is inclusive of SP1.
You do not need to do SP1 then SP2.
It contains all the SP1 updates, and all of the SP2 level updates through its release. There have been subsequent security and other hotfixes, so head to Windows Update after the upgrade.

Thanks for the reply. Can I just get someone else to confirm that answer, I have a nervous Project Manager who is doubtful.

I am happy to confirm bcastner's statement, he has helped me through some serious grief with sp2!

If you took a pc with xp's initial release, then ran windows update now, it would install a few updates, then download and offer the service pack 2 install - it would not offer you sp1.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

I can confirm what bcastner says is correct.

If you haven't belonged to this forum for long, I will let you know that most times what bcastner says is 100% correct.

Nice plug hey Bill? I'll give you a star for this one.

cheers.gif

Help! I've fallen and I can't reach my beer.

Just one thing to remind you. As always when performing an upgrade, make sure you back up your data. There is always a risk when installing any software that things may go wrong, especially upgrades that affect the core operating software. Always best to be safe than sorry.

Stu..

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back