Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing SP 1 Update for XP Home, slower now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark411

Technical User
Sep 12, 2000
CA
Hi Everyone,
Has anyone noticed their systems running slower after installing the sp-1.
I have a cicero 1.5GB 256mb ram.
I had to install win Xp home on a new drive after it failed, but was wondering if it makes a difference to install the patch right after a fresh install?
regards Mark

It shouldn't matter when you install SP1, but anytime I do a new install I install all available updates before installing other software. John D. Saucier
jsauce@magicguild.com
Certified Technician
Network Administrator

Good point, I'll try more memory & do all the updates & sp-1. I guess I should do the SP-1 first, then check to see what other updates are needed?
Thanks for the tip!
regards Mark

Here is a good tip, if you install any update whether it be SP1 or a device driver. Use the System Restore feature to create a restore point just before installing. This can save you headaches if the update causes problems. You then restore the system to the previous state just before the update. John D. Saucier
jsauce@magicguild.com
Certified Technician
Network Administrator

Don't forget to defrag after any type of update to XP, when microsoft installs patches they rename the old file, write the new one and then delete the original when the full installation is complete, the results are a hugely fragmented hard drive which would slow it down considerably.

Try defragging and see if that helps!!!

RedBarn2

Did you install office 2000 sp3. This has real slowdown problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back