Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing software with group policy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bud888

MIS
Nov 26, 2003
GB
I have setup a group policy on my domain to install MSVisio 2000 to anyone in a particular security group. I have added the standard.MSI file from the bin directory (i used the setup.exe /a command to copy all files needed to a network share) to the group policy and setup necessary permissions. When i try logging in as a member of the group, it doesnt appear in the start menu. Does anyone know why? When i check the application event log it states the deployment of Visio from the group policy was successful.

Can anybody help?

now you know why you should buy SMS... GPO is possible but terrible place to install software unless you don't want to manage the process...

If you ask around, you'll find out...

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel
"A knight without armour in a [cyber] land."

I assigned it. It works perfectly with Project 2000 but not with Visio 2000.

I use SMS 2.0 on another domain, its crap. I heard 3 is alot better? What do u guys think?

Although is NOT recommended, what about repacking MSI file?

This might help,
Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back