Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Sms client to only certain computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBarnes

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2001
US
I was wondering if it was possible to install the Sms client only to certain computers in a subnet. Is better way than to take off network discovery and install all of them manually? Currently we have network discovery on and we add the subnets in when we get new offices but I am looking for a way to install the client part only on certain computers on certain subnets.

Thanks for you help in advance.
Donnie

Do your users roam between machines??

If not, asign a login script with the SMS client install lines to your managed users.

How are you choosing the machines not to install on?

No the users donot roam between machines and I am choosing by the user or machine.

You could use Kixtart logon script to rollout SMS per subnet. I recently did something like this to convert client from LANDESK to SMS. I wanted to control the LANDESK removal and the SMS client installation. The rollout happened SUBNET by SUBNET.

;**** 1st Get Users DHCP address****************************
; The following will assign the variable "$IP" the value of the end-user's IP address
$IP = @ipaddress0
? $IP
? "The above IP address... is the DHCP assigned IP of your machine"
Sleep 3

; The following will truncate the IP so that only 1st three octets are shown
; IF the IP gateway ='s the proper SUBNET range, you will run the rest of this script

$Gateway = SubStr($IP, Len($IP) -14, 11)

If $Gateway = " 10. 34. 3" OR $Gateway = " 10. 34. 4" OR $Gateway = " 10. 34. 99" OR $Gateway = " 10. 34. 20"

? "YES, YOU ARE IN THE PROPER SUBNET TO HAVE SMS INSTALLED"
Sleep 3

Then continue you Kixtart script to call the SMSLS.bat

Hope this helps..

By the way, Kixtart is a free logon scripting language...it is widely used on NT 4.0 domains and 2K domains. You can see more about the free product at
I hope this helps.. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back