Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing SCSI dat tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOSCO

Technical User
Sep 26, 2000
GB
Im trying to install a HP 4gb SCSI dat tape, but I just can't do it! Part of my problem stems from not knowing what Adapter number, ID, LUN, Bus, and Data type are....

Ive tried a few combinations but I think that im getting the settings wrong. Can anyone explain what they mean?

Also when it is working I would normally use a tar tv8 to catalogue the tape. Where do I specify that the tape is on tv8?

Thanks.

I think I need an idiots guide!

The adapter # lun (usually 0 ) and scsi id are all specific to what you have the device hooked up to. Usually the scsi card will sign on during the POST and tell you what devices it sees.

To modify the "defaults" for the "tar" command edit the file:

/etc/defaults/tar

hth
stan

If you are using an Adaptec host adapter, make sure that the drive is recognized at boot time by the adapter (Ctrl-A when prompted). If it isn't then you probably have termination issues. It's worth noting that the Adaptec 2940 adapter doesn't properly terminate the wide bus if there aren't any devices attached to it (i.e. you are only using the narrow bus) and you'll need to terminate the wide bus with a physical terminator.

Also, make sure that every scsi device has a unique id.

If all this is set/working properly, then the defaults should work when using mkdev tape.

LUN= Logical Unit Number
An unique identifier used on a SCSI bus that enables it to differentiate between up to eight separate devices (each of which is a logical unit). Each LUN is a unique number that identifies a specific logical unit, which may be an end user, a file, or an application program. defaults 0

Host Adapter:
Each SCSI-card will need a unique host adapter ID.
first one 0, second card 1 and so on. Try with 0 here.

SCSI-ID:
Each device on a SCSI-bus must have a unique ID. IF you hook up for instance a Tape-device and a harddrive they can't have the same SCSI-ID. Can be compared with IRQ. There are different ways of determining what SCSI-id you have on your device. I would be suprised if you didn't see anything during bootup? Many tape devices have dip-switches to setup SCSI-id manually. Have a look at your tape device.
If you can't find it, try everything from 0-7 until you get it right. I doubt that you have a 16bit Wide SCSI-2 connection? If you do, try setting SCSI-id 0-15 instead.
The host adapter usually have id 7.

BUS:
A scsi adapter usually have several buses, perhaps one internal and one external?
Try setting 0 or 1 here. 0 for bus number 1 and 1 for bus number 2.

also have a look at /etc/default/scsihas for supported scsi adapters.

don't forget to take a look at /etc/default/tar as stan said.

I post these messages to educate myself. Feel free to correct my if I'm wrong. /Sören

You don't specify what version of SCO you are using. If it 3.2.4 and the Adaptec controller is a 2940 I think you will have to import the drivers, 3.2.4 only has 'ad' and you need 'alad'. Openserver 5.x/Unixware 7 are OK.

Roy

You can also try this.

After the system is booted and you are at a "#" prompt type the following command: hwconfig |more
This command will list all of the hardware found on the system at boot. I find it useful to put this information in a file for future reference. To do this you can type this command: hwconfig >hwconfig.txt
This will create a ascii text file called hwconfig.txt. You will find this useful to refer to your hardware settings in the future.

In any case, scroll through this file or after using the hwconfig command until you find the settings for SCSI host adapter. That entry will give you the necessary information for your adapters settings. The recommended default device number for tape drives in SCO systems is device 2 but during the setup of the tape drive in SCO you can define whatever device number you want. Just make sure the jumpers on the tape drive for your device id matches your settings in the SCO operating system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back