Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Samba?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJKAOS

Technical User
Jun 30, 2000
US
I found a good article on setting up samba, but it assumes it is already installed.

I have Linux Mandrake 7.2 and I found 3 RPM's on my CD..
samba-2.0.7-18mdk.i586.rpm
samba-client-2.0.7-18mdk.i586.rpm
samba-common-2.0.7-18mdk.i586.rpm

Which one of these do I need to install?
I just want to be able to browse files on the windows computers hooked to my home network...and I want the windows computers to be able to browse my linux computers files.

Thanks for any help.

I would have thought you would need to install all 3 packages to get the ful functionality of samba

Richard

richard@brecon.co.uk

the samba 2.0.7 file is the samba server you need this to be able to run samba on the linux machine... The samba-client file is so you can view shares on other computers from yourlinux machine the common I have no idea I b\never installed it.. you should prbably go to samba.org and get the latest version... its called samba-latest-version.tar.gz or somthing like that I think its version 2.2.0... been a while since I installed it...

If I remember correctly... you have to use all three!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back