Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Recovery Console on SP2 machine? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

torandson

Technical User
Feb 8, 2005
A1
Hi,
This question is for bcastner or any knowledgeable MVP of similar expertise:

Do I correctly understand (thread779-1013670) that after I have installed XP Pro SP1 and then have installed SP2 and then have installed critical and important updates, Office 2003, apps, etc. that I can afterward ...

install the Recovery Console without breaking my system* provided that...

I first make a slipstreamed CD that incorporates SP2 into my XP Pro SP1 installation CD to use for installation of the Recovery Console?

(In other words, can I install the Recovery Console without having to do a fresh install/re-install of the OS?)

*by not breaking my system I mean that I will not create Product Activation headaches with the Office 2003 installation, among other possible problems. Or should I wait until after the Recovery Console is successfully installed before installing Office 2003?

--torandson

BTW, for a lot of reasons a slipstream is a god idea.
See if this thread makes it painless: Thread779-900263

bcastner,
Umm, thanks but could you make this a little more explicit for me?

(In other words, can I install the Recovery Console without having to do a fresh install/re-install of the OS?)

I already have everything installed. SP2, security patches, applications. I don't want to have to re-install everything again. (In other words, aside from any other possible uses, the slipstreamed CD will only be needed to install the Recovery Console, right?) (Please don't just say 'yes,' but indicate which question you are answering if I may be so bold as to ask this.)

I have an SP1 installation CD.

Is it true that from where I am now I only need to slipstream SP2 into my installation CD to ADD the Recovery Console to my existing system?

Thanks,

--torandson

P.S. I have the instructions for making a slipstreamed CD, thanks.

Not quite. From the Microsoft KB article I linked originally:

Method 1: Use a Windows XP SP2 CD
Click Start, click Run, type CD drive letter:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons, and then click OK.

Method 2: Install the Recovery Console before you install Windows XP SP2
Install the Recovery Console before you install Windows XP SP2. After you install the Recovery Console, install Windows XP SP2.

Method 3: Install the Recovery Console by using files in the Windows XP SP2 Installation folder
1. Create a Windows XP SP2 Installation folder. For more information about how to do this, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 900871 ( How to integrate Windows XP Service Pack 2 files into the Windows XP installation folder
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. Type the following, where D is the drive letter for the CD drive:
FolderPath:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

Note In this step, FolderPath is the drive and folder name that are used as the Installation folder. For example, the drive and folder name that are used in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 900871 are C:\XPSP2.
4. Confirm the installation when you are prompted by clicking Yes.
5. Restart the computer.
The next time that you start your computer, "Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" appears in the Startup menu.

bcastner,
So, you're saying that Method 1 won't work with a slipstreamed SP2 CD that I could make from my SP1 CD and the SP2 executable?
--torandson

It would work fine. Yours is kind of a CD version of Method #3.

... and that linked article (900871) also describes how I can put SP2 files in an Installation folder without re-installing SP2? (Since I already have installed SP2.)

I don't want to seem obtuse, but Method 3 seems awfully complex and risky for someone with SP2 already installed.

I want to keep everything as slim and clean as possible. Accidentally installing something again on top of itself worries me, as does having system files in more than one location and path variables similarly confus-ed/ing. (Didn't the system do something like that when I installed SP2?)

(Background: the system this new system will replace crashes multiple times every single day. I'm very tired of playing that tune and have developed a severe nervous tic, ic, ic...)

--torandson

bcastner,
Man, you are fast today! You been eating a new brand of vitamins or something?
--torandson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back