Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing RAID driver that requires SP8+

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffkelly

Technical User
Aug 18, 2003
US
I'm installing another 4.11 server, this time with a Adaptec 2400A RAID card. The problem I have is that the controller driver requires at least SP8, but my installer is the original release of 4.11.

Typically I patch the OS w/ SP9 after the initial installation completes. My PRO100 NIC driver requires SP9, but that's ok since I don't need the NIC right away. I do, however, need the RAID controller to install the OS. How do I get around this dilemma?

The Adaptec driver comes with a batch file that copies the NW4.11 CD to my C:\ partition. It also adds the controller drivers to the driver library. So far, I haven't been able to complete installation because the NW installer can't find a few files in the hard drive copy (updated by Adaptec). I'm looking for another copy of the installer disc in case the one I'm using has errors on it. That said, I used it to install two other servers without any problems. The other servers did not use the 2400A controller...just standard NW mirroring.

Thanks,

J

Hi

Its bee a while since I used Netware 4, but the fundamentals are the same.
The disk drivers are loaded from the C: Drive, so you could put the updated driver in that directory - when asked to overwrite during the install say no.
Not why SP8 is required, maybe its an updated library file or similar, but the tip would be have this file\files on hand as well or even located in the C:\nwserver folder as you can load files from other laoctions such as A: drive or C: drive rather than the SYS volume - eg. LOAD C:\NWSERVER\ADAPTECDRV.DSK - must have the full path.
Its going to be hard if a heap of files are required before the controller is recognised in Netware and my only other suggestion is to build it on a similar but support Adaptec controller that recognises your RAID level. The once you have your system fully patched then change your controller and update your drive to the new one.
Document you steps if you get it to work as you may need it again in a recovery situation.

Regards

David

Beleive it or not, Adaptec's installation utility mentioned in the original post made the installation a breeze. The RAID controller driver worked fine with the unpatched OS. So, I simply installed NW, created the NW partition and patched it to SP9. The RAID 5 array mounts fine.

It would have been an interesting problem if the OS didn't install due to unrecognized storage.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back