Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Providex Driver without MAS Workstation 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kruken

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2006
US
We are currently running MAS 90/200 version 3.71 , I have been using the Providex 3.33 Local ODBC driver which i obtained from the Providex website.

There are 2 users for which i do not want to install the MAS workstation , however an inhouse application they use sometimes needs to query MAS for inventory levels

I would like to install the ODBC driver on their computers without installing MAS , but i am asked for activation information ... Is there any way to use the ODBC driver without installing the workstation or needing to order additional licenses ?

I am being asked for
- Serial Number
- Number of Users
- Activation Code

Thanks

Steven Yvinec-Kruyk
Ubisoft Canada

The fastest and easiest way to do this is to install the work station. Start MAS ONCE. Then use Windows Explorer to delete the MAS folder. This will allow the user to query the database without being able to run the program. Trying to install the ODBC driver without installing the work station is slow, error prone and a pain in the rear.

Thanks for the advice BigLouie !

Helpfull as always !

Cheers.

Steven Yvinec-Kruyk
Ubisoft Canada

For those of you who may be interested i have found a clean work around to address this ( keep in mind i am using MAS 90/200 3.71)

For a standalone installation of the ODBC driver i use version 3.33 of the ODBC driver available on the Providex site (
Normally on a clean machine where the MAS client is not installed i get prompted for a license when installing the read only driver. However if the MAS client is installed than it installs without a hitch.

What i have done to avoid ever having to install the client on a machine and to be able to install the PVX ODBC driver in stand-alone is copy 1 branch from the registry of a workstation where the client has already been installed (this branch includes the license)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Best Software Canada Ltd.

By exporting this branch , and installing it on the workstations or servers where i want to install the ODBC driver I have had no problems installing the read only ODBC driver from the Providex website.

Hope this information can help someone.

Steven Yvinec-Kruyk
Ubisoft Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back