Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing programs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducatista

IS-IT--Management
Jan 5, 2006
US
I just got my first machine with Vista - it's an Acer with a 3.2 celeron and 500mb of ram. I take it home and go to install microsoft office 2003 and after 40 minutes, it was not even 1% complete, so I cancelled the install. Next I tried to uninstall the version of Norton that came pre-loaded on the system - the uninstall took over an hour, but atleast it was making progress until it said it was 100% complete, then the window just stayed there and did not do anything except show that the app was busy. I opened the task manager and it showed that the application was still running and there was nothing that was unresponsive or any processes that were hanging.

Anyone know what might be causing the install/uninstall of the programs to hang? Anything I can do when I retry to install Office 2003?

Thanks,
Ryan

I suppose the obvious thing to do is return it to the Vendor and swap it for a working machine. Or at least notify them that you have a problem.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

If you want to have a go at fixing it yourself then it may be harder to return it then than it already may be now.

Will it Start and run correctly in Safe Mode. Can you check out how it runs if you login as any other user in Normal Mode?

To get further information about the error look in your Event viewer.

Look in the System or Application folder. You can get to the Event Viewer via right click My Computer icon and select Manage.

Any errors logged in the Event Viewer can be expanded by double clicking on the error line.

Take any event error I.D. number and search for it on these sites.

If the error occurred after installing a device driver or application, try using Safe Mode and removing the driver or program.

To check your RAM.

To check your Hard Drive further than ChkDsk can.

The drive manufacturer will have free diagnostic software to check your drive for problems.

Any errors in Device Manager?

To check conflicting software, most of these apply equally to Vista.

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Will check your computer for spyware and adware.

See if you have any services that are flagging as "Starting" but not actually running.

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Windows.

Run the System File Checker program from a command prompt by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your Vista DVD handy.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched. Links in this article.

Windows Help and How-to

Check what Repair or Recovery options are included with your actual machine if you were not given a retail DVD but have a Recovery type DVD.

Like I said, don't waste your time fixing faulty machinery that ought to be returned and a refund obtained.

You have checked the Windows Update site I assume?

Did you grab anything that might be causing a problem, or vice versa, missing something that might solve your problem?

Linney, I had yet to check Windows Update - before I connected to the internet I wanted to have my corporate version of Norton antivirus installed and updated from my Norton Antivirus server.

I did not install any hardware, everything came with the box.

I am going to try doing a system restore to the point of when I first got the machine and before I tried installing office.

After the system restore I will run the System File Checker - thanks for recomendation, I forgot about this (as you can tell I do not have a strong tech background, I am just the one who's responsibiltity it is to tend to the computers in our small company...)

I will repost after I do the restore and SFC and let you know how everything is going.

I would love to just send it back the the vendor being that I've only had the machine a day, but I would have to repack everything, ship it back, ect,ect so for right now I'll put up with the headache, if this is not resolved by tomorrow then in goes back.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND INPUT!! It is greatly apprecaited.

In appreciation,
Ryan

Have a look at the post by "MicroZealous" about Office 2003 in this thread (near the end), it may or may not be relevant to your problem?

Hold off on buying new PC with Vista?
thread1583-1334851

At the very least, the thread title might be kind of apt with hindsight taken into consideration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back